List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1089877

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityCold Aston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130009

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLD ASTON alias MAIN STREET SP 11 NW ASTON BLANK (north side) 6/11 Church of St. Andrew 26.1.61 GV I Anglican parish church. C12, Perpendicular, restored 1875 by J.E.K. Cutts. Coursed, squared and dressed limestone. Stone slate roof to chancel, leaded roof to nave. C12 nave and chancel, with projecting porch from nave south wall. Perpendicular west tower. Chancel south wall; one trefoil-headed lancet, plain lancet with hood right. Chamfered string just below eaves height at east end with eroded projecting stops. Blocked small round-headed C12 window with single stone lintel in nave north wall. Trefoil-headed lancet with stopped hood right. Nave; easternmost bay of nave stepped in slightly on both sides, flat-chamfered plinth. North wall, 3-light rectangular window with Perpendicular tracery (probably C19) lighting easternmost bay. Two trefoil-headed lancets right. Blocked C12 door with semi-circular tympanum with plain central field and decorated but eroded margin with billet decoration at bottom and zig-zag decoration around upper arc. Buttress with moulded plinth far right. Nave south wall; buttress with moulded plinth far left. Trefoil-headed lancet left of porch, plain lancet right. C19 three-light window with rectangular surround and tracery right. C20 plank door within C12 surround with jamb shafts and sculptured volute capitals within porch. Arch of three orders, roll-moulding, double billet and diaper. Honey-combed tympanum within surround enriched with rosettes, lintel below decorated with leaf and tendril motifs. Parapet with moulded capping to both sides of nave. String with eroded gargoyles below parapet. Three stage Perpendicular tower with moulded and flat-chamfered plinth and diagonal buttresses. Double plank doors on west within 'Tudor'-arched part hollow- moulded, part flat-chamfered surround with carved spandrels and stopped hood. Three-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery and hollow-moulded hood with head stops above. Single rectangular light to second stage on south. Pointed belfry windows with stopped hoods and stone louvres on each side of tower. Rebuilt gabled porch on south side of nave with 'Tudor'-arched entrance. West wall of south porch contains fragments of reused sculptured stonework including part of C14 piscina, part of a series of trefoil-headed openings, fragment of possible cross shaft decorated with intertwined serpent motif, part of flat-chamfered band with repeated trefoil/heart-shaped decoration. Carved C12 voussoir with cable moulding over porch entrance within porch. Roof; steeply pitched roof to chancel. Stepped coping to chancel and porch with upright cross finials. Interior; 5 bay nave with pointed chancel arch dating from restoration in 1875. Pointed Perpendicular arch from nave to tower with engaged facetted jambs and moulded and facetted capitals. Tierceron vault to tower with central bell opening and angel corbels. C19 braced tie beams supported on fine Perpendicular face corbels. Seven-facetted C19 roof trusses to chancel. Plain coloured tiles forming geometric patterns to nave and chancel floor. Lower half of C12 north door blocked, the upper part now forming image niche. Remains of an elaborate C14 stone reredos in east wall of chancel which formerly comprised 3 tall niches of which 2 remain above a moulded brattished string terminating in stops in the form of a king's and queen's head. Canted canopy to each niche, crocketted cusped arches former crocketted pinnacles above (now broken). Miniature lierne vault within each niche. Easter sepulchre in the same style with heavy partly defaced canopy in north wall of chancel. Remains of an Early English pillar piscina in south wall. Small trefoil-headed credence shelf in splay of south-east window. Furniture and fittings; C19 octagonal stone font adjacent to south door. C19 wooden pews and pulpit. Monuments; small limestone monument on west wall of nave right of tower arch to Samual Elyott, died 1667, and Elizabeth his wife, died 1666. Painted inscription with heraldic shield at bottom and cherub's head at top. Large limestone and marble Baroque monument, by Reeve, on nave north wall to Giles Carter, died 1664. Barley sugar columns either side of inscription, broken segmental pediment and painted heraldic shield at top. Cherubs above pediment. C19 benefaction board within tower. C19 stained glass in chancel, geometric stained glass in west window and two windows in nave wall. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP1279119904

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SP 12790 19903

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 11:26:45.