List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1089820

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, UPPER TURKDEAN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityTurkdean

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130081

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TURKDEAN UPPER TURKDEAN SP 11 NW 6/84 Church of All Saints 26.1.61 GV I Anglican parish church. C12, C15, restored 1839 (south wall of the aisle partially rebuilt, parts of the nave arcade renewed, new east window inserted) and 1897 (general repairs and new roofs on the nave and chancel). Chancel; coursed squared and dressed limestone, otherwise ashlar. Stone slate roof. Plan; nave with tower inserted at west end, north aisle and north porch, chancel. C15 gabled north porch with diagonal buttresses. Pointed arched entrance to porch with deep casement mouldings and mould hood with head stops in the form of a man's and a woman's head in contemporary head-dress. Parapet with moulded capping and string. Stone slab seats within porch. Double, studded doors to nave within stone Tudor-arched surround with spandrels enriched with quatrefoils with blank heraldic shields at centre. Hood with stops similar to those over porch entrance. Single two-light windows, possibly C15 with rectangular surrounds and tracery at top. Relieving arches over both windows. Possible blocked window upper left. Massive buttress with offsets left. Moulded eaves cornice. Remains of C12 nave set back far right with pilaster buttress, later buttress with offsets and moulded plinth. C12 corbel table with some sculptured animal heads. Upper part of right side of C12 round-headed arched entrance of two orders with chevron and billet ornament, capital with cushion mouldings, and impost with foliate decoration, small portion of engaged shaft below. Reused sculptured stone, possibly Saxo-Norman, with interlace and foliate decoration upper right. West wall of nave C12 with 3 pilaster buttresses, carved head over central buttress. Three reused carved stone blocks, 2 with diaper decoration, one with carved cross (possibly sanctus cross). Short length of former south wall of nave with single pilaster buttress and C12 corbel table as on north. C15 tower inserted within west end of nave. Single stage with string course above nave roof with 2-light belfry windows. Battlemented parapet with string. C13 south aisle breaks forwards from line of south wall of C12 nave; wide central two-centred arched entrance with deep casement moulding and with square stops (now blocked). Two pointed 3-light windows with tracery and hoods, that on left with- square stops. Chancel; deep flat-chamfered plinth. Upper half of C12 priest's door (now blocked) in north wall, with semi-circular arch of two orders and diapered tympanum with pellet decoration, engaged columns with cushion capitals and diapered imposts. Traces of mass dial left of left capital. Lower half of doorway obscured by later plinth. Single lancet windows, probably C19, either side of doorway. Three-light pointed C19 east window with stopped hood. Chancel north wall; 2-light stone- mullioned casement with cinquefoil-headed lights and rectangular surround, hood with square stop. Moulded eaves cornice. Church interior; plastered. Three steps down to nave from porch. Three-bay late C14 nave arcade with pointed arches springing from octagonal piers. Low flat-chamfered arch from nave to tower. Two similar but blocked archways in north and south walls under tower (within former west end of C12 nave). Wide round-headed C12 chancel arch with imposts. C19, five-bay roof to nave. All trusses with tie beams and collars, two with king posts. C19 lean- to roof to north aisle supported by defaced C15 stone corbels. Three-bay C19 king post roof to chancel. Nave floor; parquet, stone ledgers form floor of south aisle. Three steps up to chancel. Plank floor to chancel. Furniture and fittings: C19 octagonal stone font adjacent to north door (copy of damaged C14 font). C19 pews and C20 chairs in nave. C19 stone pulpit. Screen of oak painted white, 1949, by Peter Falconer, decorated with flowers and butterflies. Monuments; C17 and C18 ledgers some with good inscriptions form floor of north aisle. C19 marble monument on nave south wall. C19 stained glass in all windows of chancel. Fine stained glass window in south aisle dedicated to Dame Julia Bolton, died 1924, by Henry A. Payne. Wall paintings; royal coat of arms over chancel arch, full length figure holding staff against background painted with stars within rectangular margin with crimson foliate border over part of nave arcade. (David Verey, The Buildings of England, The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP1074817412

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SP 10748 17409

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 05:18:08.