List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1089675

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthoritySapperton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 128354

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 90 SW SAPPERTON FRAMPTON MANSELL

1/78 Church of St. Luke

26.11.58

II

Anglican Chapel of ease. 1844 by J. Parish. Coursed and dressed rubble stone with Cotswold stone-slate roof and coped gables with cross finials. Single block with apsidal chancel and tower on south west corner. Romanesque style. Tower of 4 stages with off-sets, and vestigial angle buttresses on lower 2 stages. Single step round arch entrance to south with impost blocks and chamfered jambs; 3rd stage has round headed slit window facing south; belfry on 4th stage has open twin arches on all sides; hipped and sprocketed tile roof with weathervane. Nave of 5 bays, each with single light round arch window recessed in arch, the whole recessed in a rectangular panel with a line of modillions at the top, weathered sill and continuous off-set below. Apsidal chancel has 5 similar but narrower windows and conical roof with the line of modillions now joined to form a decorative Lombard frieze along the top of the panels. Projecting rafters at eaves all round. West window is tripartite with centre round arch higher and with moulded architraves and impost blocks linking 3 windows. Interior: hammer beam roof on carved corbels with wind bracing. Apse has 6 ribs joining at a boss carved with a cross motif, supported on colonnettes with carved capitals and low corbels. Simple geometrical stained glass.

Listing NGR: SO9214002641

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 92140 02641

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:29:47.