List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1089532

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityGuiting Power

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1980

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 128726

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GUITING POWER CHURCH ROAD SP 0924 (east side) 11/88 Church of St. Michael 25.6.80 GV II* Anglican parish church. C12 north and south doorways, the latter now moved from its original position; chancel late C12 mostly rebuilt 1903. Perpendicular west tower; north transept 1820; south transept 1844; vestry 1903. Nave, tower, north and south transepts, ashlar. Chancel and vestry, coursed squared and dressed limestone. Plan: nave with north and south transepts; west tower; chancel with vestry on north. Limestone slate roof with limestone gable coping. Nave: C12 doorway on north-west corner with chevroned arch with billet and star ornament and jamb shafts with voluted and scalloped capitals resting on imposts with incised decorations. Capital of right jamb with scalloped decoration, capital of left jamb in form of head with tongue hanging out. Eroded stone head above doorway. 2-light, C19 window with tracery and stopped hood on south west. Chancel: clasping buttresses on east side. Early English priests doorway in flat- chamfered pointed archway with roll-moulded stopped hood and C20 plank door, lower left in south wall of chancel. Single light with trefoil head left of door. These features represent the only remains of the C12 chancel. 2 lancets at east end and 2-light window with Perpendicular style tracery in south wall towards right, represent copies of the originals. Single lancet left of latter added 1903. All lancets with hoods: Vestry with boiler room below. 3-light window with cusped heads in east wall. 2- light window with tracery in north wall. 2 mudstone tablets fixed to east wall, face of left-hand stone completely eroded, right-hand stone partially legible, no date. 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and heavily moulded string towards base. Strings between marking stages. Embattlemented parapet. Four, 2-light bell openings with stopped hoods and limestone slate Dell louvres. Single light with round head, carved spandrels hollow moulded surround in wall. 3-light west window with stopped hood and Perpendicular tracery. South transept: diagonal buttresses with 3-light east window with vesicas and hood with diamond stops. Similar window in north wall. C12 south doorway moved from south side of nave with C20 tympanum under an arch of 3 orders with roll and chevron mouldings. C20 double plank door within. North transept: diagonal buttresses; 3-light C19 window with tracery in west wall. 5-light C19 window with tracery in nortl, wall. Both with hoods with diamond stops. Interior: plaster removed from transepts. Hollow moulded 4- centred arches on moulded imposts to north and south transepts and chancel. Similar but taller arch to west tower. Small niche with pointed head right of C12 north doorway. 3-bay nave roof partly C15 comprising 4 cambered ties supported on eight stone corbels with carved faces. 2 central ties with a central carved boss, one of a bearded man the other a Tudor rose. North transept: pointed flat chamfered arch in north wall to organ, plank door to vestry left of arch. Roofs of north and south transepts 1903. Chancel: pointed C19 arch to organ in north wall; roof 1903. Coloured and decorated tile roof. C20 wood panelling partially covering walls. Nave fittings: C20 stone pulpit on old stone base. Base of baby's coffin below pulpit together with headstone and 4 other pieces of worked stone. Perpendicular octagonal font with quatrefoil on each face of the bowl. C19 pews in nave, chancel and transepts; royal arms of George III over south doorway. Monuments on south wall of chancel from left to right, two C19 white marble tablets to members of the Snell family. C19 white on grey decorative marble tablet with urn to John Walker, 'Lord of the Manor'. Brass plaque dated 1712. Wood plaque depicting Jesus carrying cross dated 1601 on east wall behind altar. South wall of chancel from left to right: white marble tablet in form of sarcophagus to Mary Walker died 1825; C19 brass plaque to members of the Stratford family. White on grey decorative marble tablet to Lieutenant Wenman Wynnialt drowned in Canada 1842 on south wall of nave. 3 wooden C19 plaques recording charities on walls of tower. (David Verey, The Buildings of England, The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SP0956124536

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SP 09561 24536

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 03:21:12.