List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1089451

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, KEMPSFORD VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityKempsford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 128939

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 19 NE KEMPSFORD KEMPSFORD VILLAGE (south side)

8/94 Church of St. Mary the Virgin

26.11.58 I

Anglican parish church. Early C12 nave, chancel added C13, alterations in C14, tower and nave heightened mid C15. Restored c1858 by G.E.Street and south-east chapel added; further restoration 1880s. Coursed and dressed stone, stone slate roof to chancel and chapel, nave roof not visible. Nave and chancel with central tower, north and south porches, south-east chapel. Large tower of 3 stages with offsets and stepped diagonal buttresses rising to crocketed pinnacles and openwork parapet. Three-light belfry openings on each side with stone mullions and arched hoodmould with carved stops; middle stage has small single light with square hoodmould below a square framed with 3 concave moulded lights, centre one blind; lowest stage has very large 4-light windows to north and south with king mullion, 2 transoms and Perpendicular tracery and single-light over to south, niche to north. Clock face on north side of tower. Nave retains deeply splayed round arch single-lights of Norman period and zig-zag moulded string course below additional Decorated windows added in C14. Clerestorey of mid C15 has three 3-light cusped trefoil-head windows with square hoodmould and string course with grotesques. North porch has Norman doorway with chevron arch and carved shafts, porch itself of early C16 with ogee-headed niche an) flanking crocketed pinnacles on east wall, a typical feature of the area, and 4-centred archway with concave mouldings and angel shields below gable rebuilt in late C19. South porch said to contain equally fine Norman doorway but inaccessible at time of survey (March 1985). Chancel of late C13/early C14 has 3-light trefoil- head lancet with cusped sexfoil at east end, north side fills 3-light Decorated window with reticulated tracery and small blocked trefoil-head doorway. Chapel by Street of 1858 has two 3-light with reticulated tracery on south side. Interior: 8 bay nave roof with 3 tiers of arched wind bracing, corbels for rood screen at east end of nave. Tower has doorway in north-west corner, lierne vault decorated in heraldry in 1862 and stone seats around side walls. Fine stained glass by Kempe in north window. Chancel has wagon roof, with painted ciborium probably of same date as tower decoration, plaster has been removed from walls in chancel, probably when 2-bay arcade opened up by Street to form south chapel. Large Perpendicular tomb on north wall with 2 mutilated seated figures and recumbent effigy probably of earlier date. Pulpit by Street, with marble painted over, choir stalls with fanning leaf finials also by Street. (David Verey, Building of England - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SU1613196498

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)

National Grid Reference: SU 16136 96499

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 11:08:11.