List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1089119

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityStapleford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356222

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAPLEFORD CHURCH LANE TL 31 NW (South side) Stapleford 4/114 Church of St. Mary 24.11.66 the Virgin - II*

Parish church. Mid C12 with later medieval alterations. Restored and enlarged 1874 at expense of Abel Smith of Woodhall Park (q.v. Watton- at-Stone Civil Parish). Flint rubble, cement rendered with stone dressings, stock brick buttresses. Weatherboarded tower stage to leaded timber spire. Tiled roofs. Originally a 3 bay nave with narrower and shorter chancel. Nave lengthened by 1 bay, S vestry, N transept, porch and tower added all in C19. Chancel E end: C19 3 light window, rectilinear tracery, moulded pointed arch, hood mould with mask stops, 2 stage C19 diagonal buttresses, bargeboards. Chancel to N has a restored C13 lancet and a C19 Gothic panelled door with a hood mould. Nave has bargeboards to taller E gable. N transept: gable end 2 light window with traceried head, 4 centred arch with hood mould. Quatrefoil above with date 1874. 2 stage diagonal buttresses, plinth, bargeboards. E return has a Gothic panelled door with hood mould. Further W and projecting from nave in angle with transept is C19 entrance porch surmounted by tower. Inside porch is early knapped flint walling with C12 round arched door surround, 2 orders, inner colonnettes with foliate capitals, moulded bases, triple horizontal zigzag on arch, outer voussoirs have vertical zigzag. Outer entrance to porch has pointed arch, moulded hood mould. To left steps up to a plank door to stair turret with an upper slit opening. To right a 3 stage diagonal buttress. Lancet in return to W. Cornice to weatherboarded upper stage of tower with a leaded light to N, broaches to octagonal head and timber belfry. Octagonal spire has zigzag patterning, weathervane finial. 2 stage buttress at original W end of nave, a C19 square headed light in added bay. W end C19 3 light window with rectilinear tracery, upper cusped diamond, 3 stage diagonal buttresses, plinth, bargeboards. Nave to S has 3 windows, that to centre a single C19 light replacing C12 door, lower jambs of which are visible with mass dial. Towards E end is a C15 window, 2 cinquefoiled lights with curvilinear tracery, 4 centred arched head with hoodmould, this window copied in C19 towards W end. 2 stage buttresses to right of door and at original W end. Slight thickening of wall for rood stairs with a slit light at E end of nave S wall, 2 stage buttress. Extending from chancel to S is large lower vestry. Gable end 3 light traceried window, angle buttresses, lancets in returns, blocked to E. Door to E with a 4 centred arched head with square hood mould. Interior: C16 2 centred chancel arch, double chamfered with moulded caps at springings. C13 lancet in a deep embrasure from chancel S wall to vestry. C19 double chamfered pointed arch from nave to N transept. Nave SE angle has chamfered 4 centred arched headed opening to rood stairs with upper opening with chamfered jambs. C15 or early C16 crown post roof in nave, extended to W in C19, octagonal crown posts with caps and bases, 4 way braces, stop chamfered tie beams, ovolo moulded wall plates. Late C18 vase baluster font with swags on bowl. Early C18 stone memorial to Rev D Williams removed from churchyard to nave S wall, arms in relief. Nave SE window has fragments of C15 glass at head, elsewhere early C20 glass. 1919 sanctuary panelling and communion rails. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3119216863

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 31192 16863

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 06:55:26.