List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WATTON PLACE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL

List entry Number: 1089070

Location

WATTON PLACE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL, 60, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWatton-at-Stone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356297

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 21 NE & TL 3019 WATTON-AT-STONE HIGH STREET (Southwest side) Watton-at-Stone 3/187 & 9/187 No. 60 (Watton Place) 20.10.52 with Attached Garden Wall (formerly listed as Watton Place) II* GV

Large house, now offices. Late C15, floored, heated and extended in late C16 or early C17. Altered C18 and early C19. Timber frame with some red brick casing and additions. All roughcast and whitewashed. Steeply pitched tiled roofs. Originally a 2 bay open hall and 2 bay solar cross wing, now all 1 storey and attic, with a large triple gabled block added at lower end. 2 storeys with cellars. Entrance front has C17 brick casing across ground floor. In original screens passage position at left end of hall is an early C18 6 panelled door, 1/3 glazed with a moulded doorcase and bracketed hood. To right an early C18 flush frame thick glazing bar sash. Further right is a small original brick panel with 3 trefoiled niches. Stack inserted at upper end of hall on front pitch, rebuilt. Cross wing to right does not project. 2 first floor single light casements and exposed plates flank an external C19 stack with offsets. To far right is a C19 slate roofed red brick kitchen lean-to outshut with dentilled brick eaves on return. At lower end to left of hall is later and taller 3 bay triple gable fronted block, originally probably jettied on all sides. Ground floor to front is slightly set back with early brick casing and plinth. 3 early C19 flush frame thin glazing bar sashes. Jettied first floor roughcast with 3 similar sashes, windows unevenly spaced with larger gap for stack in valley between. 2 right bays. 3 of 4 original decorated red brick shafts remain, cable twist, octagonal and honeycomb patterned with projecting moulded caps, restored. Left return is all roughcast with C19 half glazed doors, 2 single light small pane casements on first floor. An external C18 stack towards rear with offsets to stock brick capping. To rear: C19 door into hall with a bracketed hood. To right Cl9 small pane French windows with architrave and a horizontal sliding sashed box dormer. To left stock brick casing onto solar wing with ground floor 3 light small pane casements. An entrance with a bracketed hood in kitchen lean-to. Later block to rear has a ridge parallel to hall range with a hip to far right. Ground floor: C17 irregularly bonded red brick, entrance to left of centre with a segmental head, open gabled pentice porch, to left flush metal frame 2 light small pane casement, to right an early C19 glazing bar sash. Roughcast first floor is slightly set back behind brick cased ground floor which has a slate coping. Flush frame glazing bar sashes, that to left onto stairs with 16 panes. Left or inner gable end was jettied with a first floor sash, bargeboards, part underbuilt in stock brick. Interior: large arched brace in hall and C17 chamfered axial binding beam. Large scantling with heavy jowled posts to cambered tie beams to crown post roofs, 4 way braces in solar wing. Early C19 open well stair with moulded ramped handrail in later block. Cellars have early arched headed recesses. Attached to front left and extending for about 50m to enclose 2 sides of a garden is an C18 and C19 red brick and flint wall varying from lm to 3m in height. Knapped flint panels to road. Canted angle at corner. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2999219422

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 29992 19422

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 04:15:14.