List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PRIORY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1088700

Location

THE PRIORY FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityDeerhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 126594

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEERHURST DEERHURST VILLAGE SO 8629-8729 10/53 The Priory Farmhouse (formerly listed as The Priory) 4.7.60 GV I Formerly part of claustral buildings of monastery, now farmhouse. C14, late C15 or early C16, late C16, C17, C18, various periods in C19. Random rubble, some later brick patching, coursed, squared blue lias (C19), stone slates to front, tiles to rear. Four-room, 2½-storey main block, 3-room, 1½ storey wing forming off-centre 'T', all one room deep, but with short wing off back of lower wing. Front; all windows leaded lights. On right, lower wing, three 3- light hollow-chamfered mullioned windows, 4-centred arches to each light, sunk spandrels, hoodmould. Frame slightly proud of wall to take render. Above, gabled stone dormer, 2-light similar window; chimney on ridge 2 bays from right. Beyond main range: on right reticulated-tracery window lighting 2 floors; single-storey gabled porch, 4-centred wide arch, over 3-panel door, panels vertical. Blocked opening to left, 3-light window as low wing. Above blocked openings over porch, 2-light stone mullioned window, trefoil heads to lights; one light later cut down as doorway, since restored. Further blocked opening or rebuild of part of wall to left. Gabled dormer with 2-light wooden window; cruciform brick chimney on ridge behind porch. Left return blocked window ground floor, 4- light window as main front above, 2-light to attic. Rear, all windows leaded lights, all save first wooden, with timber lintels. Two-light window as front; 3-light casement, iron opening light; 6-panel door, bottom 2 flush, single light, 2 carved pieces of Saxon stonework, 2-light and single-light casements; on left end attached to church. Above 4-light, ovolo-moulded casement; corbel (for cloister roof, as later ones); 4-light close-set mullions, blocked; 2-light casement, 2 corbels, 4-light mullion and transom, corbel, corbelled chimney rising from eaves. Gabled dormer with 2- light casement, ridge chimney as front. Interior: heavy chamfer to ceiling beams room on left of porch both floors; room on right, ground floor dado rail, half-glazed door to passage (early C19), late C16 or early C17 moulded stone fireplace surround, flat lintel. Dogleg stair, moulded string, rail, turned balusters, square newels. Room beyond reset C12 column, with 'Ionic' volutes to capital. First floor moulded intersecting ceiling beams in end 2 rooms on right, plastered over in bedroom. Roof trusses tie-beam, cambered collar with curved 'V' struts over and added collar; in 2 trusses wall posts survive below, rising from carved corbels, in one case curved brace to tie- beam survives. Two pairs purlins, square ridge. House originally formed east side of cloister range; converted to house after Reformation. First floor room probably left open to roof, as there was a large dormer from the rear eaves until C19, shown by Lysons. Bigland mentions remains of spacious hall. Existing 1½-storey wing built mid C19, on site of earlier, taller range, with return from east end to south, shown by Lysons. Part of entrance front was roughcast at one stage. Room to right of entrance reformed early C19. Forms group with Church of St Mary, Odda's Chapel and Abbot's Court (all q.v.) (R. Bigland, Collections; relative to 1791; S. Lysons, A Collection of Gloucestershire Antiquities, 1804; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO8705929939

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bigland, R - Title: Historical Monumental and Genealogical Collections Relative to the County of Gloucestershire - Date: 1889
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Lysons, S - Title: A Collection of Gloucestershire Antiquities - Date: 1804
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SO 87060 29943

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 05:17:20.