List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTHWICK PARK

List entry Number: 1088590

Location

NORTHWICK PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityBlockley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 126843

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 13 NE 1/26 BLOCKLEY NORTHWICK PARK

25.8.60 Northwick Park GV I Early C17; 1686; 1732; c1775; 1828; 1832 Architects are possibly William Talman (1686); Lord Burlington (1732); John Woolfe (c1775) Richard Hulls (1832).

Ashlar with slate roof. Three storeys all sash windows mostly with glazing bars. The original house is an early C17 open courtyard house with the opening to the west, the chief remaining indication of this is the shaped gables on the east and west front although these have been altered during their history. The east, south and west fronts have ben largely remodelled as follows:-

East (entrance) front. Five bays, remodelled by Lord Burlington in 1732. All the windows date from this period. Bays 2 to 4 are 2 storey projections forward of the C17 building line. First floor windows outer bays pedimented inner ones arched with balustraded aprons. Coat of arms in centre. Lord Burlington's front door is unaltered but has been obscured by a late C19 Roman Doric porch with broken pediment. The attic gables, were reduced from 5 to 3 and give shaped as opposed to crow-stepped sides at some time between 1788-1804.

South front has two 3 storey semi-circular bays each with 3 windows, centre window between over ground floor niche. This part by John Woolfe. The bows were heightened in 1828 (dated on the rainwater-head) and the roofs seem to have been partly reconstructed at that time.

West front of 9 bays 2.5.2, tall sash windows with eaved architraves. Centre 5 bays set slightly forward with quoins, modillioned cornice, and pediment crowned by vase and containing large coat-of-arms. Central doorway with open segmental pediment. Tall panelled ashlar stacks. This remodelling perhaps by William Talman.

North front has service wing which continues the west front and terminates in a square block crowned by a clock turret and weathervane. The courtyard front has some C19 alterations.

Interior. The principal rooms are the Hall by Lord Burlington with marble floor, Inigo Jones style ceiling, and a fine pedimented Corinthian doorcase (now blocked). Mahogany doors. The domed staircase which is fitted into the courtyard; the dome dates from 1828 but the staircase itself may be circa 1775 by John Woolfe. Circular stair with wrought iron balustrade. There are also rooms with contemporary fittings and decorations on the west and south fronts. Including 2 important fireplaces by P M Van Gelder dating from 1788.

The Picture Gallery was added in 1832 by Richard Hulls and is at right angle to the East front. Two storeys on rusticated plinth, 5 bays. Bays 1, 3 and 5 on the ground floor are arched niches containing Coade stone vases by William Croggan. First floor cill band, cornice, balustraded parapet with central raised sculptual panel, also Coade stone rusticated gate pier on north-east corner (to stable yard) see item 1/133.

Interior has top lit picture gallery built for the famous Spencer Churchill collection sold 1859 and 1965. Important relief panel by John Deal (Interior not seen at time of upgrading 3/1981).

Listing NGR: SP1676536376

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 16765 36376

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 07:25:56.