List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1088526

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityMickleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 127001

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 1643-1743 MICKLETON CHURCH LANE (east side) 12/86 Church of St. Lawrence 25.8.60

I

Anglican Parish Church. C12 Nave, C13/14 nave extended west and aisles rebuilt on a larger scale, C14 west tower. C15 chancel and clerestory to nave, C17 south porch. Restored 1868 by Frederick Preedy. Nave and chancel ashlar with side and angle buttresses respectively. South aisle coursed limestone rubble with angle buttresses. All under tile roof with slightly stepped coping and upright cross finials. South porch ashlar with flat roof. W tower squared limestone with angle buttresses and ribbed, broached spire with 4 pinnacles on the broaches. Plan: Nave, with north and south aisle, the latter with south porch attached towards west. West tower and chancel. South porch: 2 storeys, South wall 3-windowed. 2-light, flat chamfered king mullioned windows, with trefoil heads. 2 and 3-light stone mullioned casements and single, round-headed window, to west wall. All windows to porch have metal casements and leaded panes, some with original glass. Continuous band over ground and first floor windows. 2 identical doorways one blocked, in south wall with round heads, keystones, imposts and carved spandrels. Flat, moulded hoods over. South aisle: two, 2-light windows in south wall one 5-light window at east end, with original decorated tracery. Chancel: two 3-light C19 windows with perpendicular style tracery in north and south walls. The windows in the south wall flank a studded, plank door in 4-centred arched surround with decorative stops. 5-light, east window with original decorated tracery. Three 3-light windows with decorated tracery in north wall of north aisle. 2 stage W tower with C19 paired arched doorway in W wall. 2-light belfry windows and lucarnes, all with limestone slate louvres. Interior: Nave with C15 clerestory and oak panelled ceiling. Organ gallery at west end c1931. 2 bays of late C12 nave with still leaf capitals and extra W bay of c1300. Aisles beyond have C19 timbered roofs with arched braces, rising to collar with King post, linked with decorative iron straps. Step up to chancel through C19 pointed arch. Furniture: C15 bound parish chest below organ gallery. C19 pews incorporating some linenfold panelling from former pews. Carved Jacobean pulpit in north-east corner. North aisle: font at west end with C15 pedestal and octagonal bowl of c1661. C18 stone decorated wall tablet on west wall to Thomas Woodward by his grandson Edward Woodward of Campden. Late C18 decorated tablet right. 4 hatchments on north wall of north aisle, 3 C18 decorated stone tablets one large decorated with 10 paired heraldic shields by Edward Woodward. 2 C19 marble tablets all commemorating members of the Graves family. C18 memorial urn, commemorating Utrecia Smith in niche in east wall of north aisle. Another to Danvers Graves C12 stone crucifix below window. S aisle: C19 memorial tablet and C19 marble monument and tablet on E wall. 3 C19 wood plaques recording charities on S wall. Chancel N wall: C18 stone monument with barley twist columns. C17 stone tablet inset in wall, to John Bonner. 3 oval stone monuments one above the other, far right, commemorating 3 Edwards of the Fisher family. Chancel S wall. From left to right. C17 stone tablet to the Rev. Henry Hurst. One C18 and one C19 decorated wall tablet. 2 C19 marble tablets. The urn commemorating Ultrecia Smith is referred to by the poet Shenstone in "Ophelia's Urn." (David Verey. The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP1618943504

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SP 16190 43502

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 07:51:50.