List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1088473

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityWillersey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 127079

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 1039-1139 WILLERSEY CHURCH STREET (north side)

14/163 Church of St. Peter 25.8.60



I

Anglican Parish Church, C12 nave with blocked S doorway. C13 N porch. N aisle rebuilt C13. C15 tower. C19 vestry and restoration. Nave and N aisle: coursed and squared limestone, with angle buttresses and a racking buttress on the N. Transepts: coursed, squared and dressed limestone. Chancel: coursed limestone rubble with some ashlar blocks incorporated in the lower courses. Vestry: ashlar limestone. Tower: ashlar limestone with diagonal buttresses. Limestone slate roof with slightly stepped gable coping and decorative upright cross finials. Plan: N aisle entered via N porch; nave; crossing; N and S transepts; chancel with vestry on S side. Nave: 3-light it window with Perpendicular tracery and hood with stops. Pointed, blocked doorway to left. Blocked Norman doorway in S wall with plain semi-circular tympanum supported on moulded imposts. C13 porch with pointed, flat- chamfered arch with hood. N transept: single light in W wall with trefoil head and hood with stops in the form of heads. 3-light N window with Perpendicular tracery and C19 hood also stops in the form of heads. 2-light E window with ogee cusping and trefoil over. Chancel: two C19 2-light windows in N wall, single similar window in N wall. E window: C19 triple lancet with hood reflecting the line of the tops of the lights. Vestry attached to S wall of chancel has single lights with trefoil heads. Flight of stone steps between S transept and vestry up to small plank door giving access to multi angular corner turret giving access to tower, S transept: C19, 2-light E window with quatrefoil, C19 2- light S window with vesica. Single light W window with decorated tracery: vesica flanked by 2 mouchettes, All windows have diamond leaded panes. Perpendicular tower of 2 stages. String just above top of buttresses, another string course with gargoyles at the 4 corners just below embattlemented parapet with 4 pinnacles. Four 2-light belfry windows with quatrefoils and limestone slate louvres. Interior: N door leads into narrow lean to aisle with a two bay arcade with a third bay cut off by the insertion of the central tower. The arcade has pointed chamfered arches on octagonal piers with shallow capitals and moulded abaci. Large indentation at W end of N aisle above floor height. Outline of blocked doorway also in W wall to nave. Inlet for blocked S doorway opposite the N door. Nave has a C19 timber arch braced roof. Similar roofs in N and S transepts. Braces supported on projecting hammer beams themselves supported on decorated stone corbels. Crossing bounded by 4 pointed compound arches each of five orders. Angel projects from each capital. Fanvault above 1859 with decorative bosses. S transept. S wall: C14 piscina with ogee head and credence shelf Geometric coloured tiles form floor of crossing and aisles in the nave and S transept. N transept and chancel have limestone flag flooring. Chancel has C19 roof as in nave and transepts but with cusped braces supported on decorative corbels Fragments of medieval stained glass in W window depicting two figures and 2 stags. Some fragments in the E window of the N transept also. C19 stained glass in the W wall of the S transept. Furniture: Norman tub shaped font on modern pillar and plinth, in N transept. C19 pews and pulpit. Monuments: C19 stone tablet with gold lettering on blocking of S doorway. Royal arms of George III, right. Chancel: two C19 marble tablets and one marble monument in the form of a sarcophagus on the left wall. Three C18 ledger stones in floor of sanctuary. History: the building of the chancel, transepts and tower are thought to be associated with the Abbots of Evesham who are reputed to have used Willersey Manor as a summer residence. The pillars supporting the tower and vault are copies of the pillars of Evesham Abbey, which were destroyed in the Reformation. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP1070139661

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SP 10700 39661

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 07:09:36.