List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1088429

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityDuntisbourne Rouse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 127180

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 90 NE DUNTISBOURNE ROUSE DUNTISBOURNE ROUSE VILLAGE

6/80 Church of St. Michael 26.11.58 GV I

Parish church. Late Cll or early C12; C12 chancel and C15 west tower. Random rubble limestone, including herring-bone work; ashlar tower; stone-slate roof. Nave without aisles; west tower, south porch and chancel; chapel below chancel. Simple triangular headed south doorway central to nave with north doorway opposite; porch is C18 with chamfered segmental arch and sundial mounted in gable over with metal gnomon, dated 1756; stone seats within. Left of south door 2-light C15 window in square-headed opening, and to right trefoil-headed lancet, with further Early English lancet to east. No windows in north wall; central square- headed doorway with chamfered surround and stone step; doorway now blocked; area of herring-bone work to right. Parapet gables at either end of nave, that at west being broken by tower; end wall either side of tower has herring-bone work; very large dressed quoins in south west corner and projecting square stone block at eaves level at both corners. Saddleback tower of 2 stages on chamfered plinth; small slit windows to internal staircase on south side at low level and higher on north side; very small belfry openings with Tudor-arched heads; weathered string course below; 2 parapet gables surmounted by stone crosses above cross-gablet saddles; inscription stone above belfry opening in west face reads: 'THIS WAS BUILT BY JOHN HADEN MASON JOHN FREEMAN AND JOHN HOSKINS BEING WARDENS A.D. OI 1587'. Small, round-headed chancel windows to north, east and south walls with, at lower level, round- headed east chapel window, still unglazed; east parapet gable with projecting rectangular stones at eaves level; square-headed south doorway into low level chapel approached down flight of stone steps, all appearing a later alteration. Simple limewashed interior: early C18 timber panelling in nave; simple pointed arch to tower doorway; Norman chancel arch with 3 orders of roll mouldings to intrados, and 3 colonnettes to pier jambs each with scalloped capital; additional outer roll moulding on nave side; 3-bay nave roof with arched braced collar and moulded tie-beam trusses and windbracing. East chancel window has roll moulding; extensive late Norman wall painting survives on north wall with fragments on east side of chancel arch piers and south wall; that on north wall shows round-headed arcading with scroll band over and stylised masonary with flower decoration above; C19 restored chancel roof with collar-tied rafters and ashlaring. Square- headed aumbry in south chancel wall; C19 quatrefoil pierced timber chancel rail; choir stalls with C15 misericords, each with grotesque head and vine leaf decoration. Hexagonal Jacobean timber pulpit in nave. Late Norman octagonal stone font on octagonal shaft and square base; trilobed carved foliage decoration. C18 panelled box-pews, many with doors. Early C19 memorial on north wall of nave by Richard Mills of Cirencester: black and white marble with fluted pilasters flanking inscription panel; flaming urns in relief above pilasters and large funerial urn in centre with heraldic shield below; inscribed to NATHANIEL HAINES, died 1784; ANN HAINES, died 1814; SUSANNA HAINES, died 1824; MARY HAINES, died 1824; and JANE HAINES, died 1828. Late C19 and C20 stained glass in chancel. Tunnel vaulted chapel below chancel with square-headed doorway at west end and blocked stone spiral stairs formerly leading into nave; roll moulding to east window; square-headed aumbry in north wall. Situated on steeply banked hillside. (A. Carver, The Story of Duntisbourne Rous, 1968; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SO9853306060

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carver, A, The Story of Duntisbourne Rous, (1968)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 98534 06060

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 02:26:00.