List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DRAWDYKES CASTLE

List entry Number: 1087728

Location

DRAWDYKES CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityStanwix Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77642

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANWIX RURAL DRAWDYKES

NY 45 NW

5/62 Drawdykes Castle

1. 4.57. II*

Farmhouse, formerly tower home. Probably C14, converted to house 1676 by William Thackery and John Aglionby. Mixed red and yellow sandtone walls, mostly from the Roman Wall nearby, gabled slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays. Basically the original tower with Classical Revival faade and rear windows Chamfered plinth course. Entrance has moulded surround with triangular pediment, C19 6-panel door. Moulded surrounds to sash windows with glazing bars, having alternating segmented and triangular pediments, but no pediments to second floor windows. Calciferous sandstone ashlar quoins, moulded cornice and parapet with central coat of arms over which is carved head possibly of John Aglionby. West wall has roof moulding of adjoining building which was demolished c1764 to build the attached farmhouse (now very much altered). Rear wall has built-in Roman altar; and re-used lintel stone inscribed to Alan de Penitona, who was mayor of Carlisle in 1287, is inside. Interior now used for storage and impossible to inspect. One of the earliest Classical Revival facades in the area. See, Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p. 368.

Listing NGR: NY4190758549

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 368

National Grid Reference: NY 41907 58549

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 12:57:51.