List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY AND ST CONSTANTINE

List entry Number: 1087692

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY AND ST CONSTANTINE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityWetheral

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77762

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WETHERAL WETHERAL NY 4654

14/181 Church of the Holy 1. 4.57. Trinity and St Constantine

II*

Church. C13 with alterations of early C16, 1790-91, 1872 (by R.J. Withers) and 1881-2. Dressed red sandstone, graduated slate roofs, coped east gable. West tower, nave with vestry and south porch, chancel and chapel, bellcote at east end. Hexagonal tower, on site of medieval porch, 1790 with 1882 upper part. Round-arched moulded West door under 2-light window. C19 clock. Drip moulds at floors and openings; battlemented parapet with corner water spouts and pinnacles. C16 nave doors and windows, some blocked or repositioned; C16 clerestory. C19 south extension in re-used stone with 4-light window. Chancel has 5-light east window. South window and priest's door have inscriptions to William Thornton and Richard Wedderhall, Priors of Wetheral 1500-30 and 1534-9. 4-bay double-chamfered nave arcades. Medieval features include C13 hexagonal font, tomb chest with effigies of Sir Richard and Dame Jane Salkeld c1500, and fragments of stained glass. Other glass of C19 and Howard Chapel of 1791 Gothic style, has buttresses rising to pinnacles and battlemented parapet; also large cast iron pointed windows, an early use of this material. Interior has rib-vaulted plaster ceiling. Its chief ornament is a life sized monumental figure of Faith, commemorating Lady Maria Howard, died 1789, by Joseph Nollekens for Henry Howard of Corby Castle who built the chapel as her memorial. Nollekens considered this to be his finest work and he is shown carving this monument on his tombstone. See Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., vol. xxii (new series) pp.235-8.

Listing NGR: NY4681754401

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society - Journal Title: Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society - Volume: 22 - Page References: 235-8

National Grid Reference: NY 46817 54401

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 09:16:05.