List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CORN MILL

List entry Number: 1087686

Location

THE CORN MILL, A69

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityWetheral

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Sep-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77751

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

NY 45 NE WETHERAL

A69, WARWICK BRIDGE 6/169 (north side)

22/09/83 The Corn Mill II

The Grade shall be amended to read II * (star).

------------------------------------

WETHERAL A69, WARWICK BRIDGE NY 45 NE (North Side)

6/169 The Corn Mill

II

Water corn mill, now used for grinding oats for pig food. 1839 for Howard estate (Corby Castle). Coursed sandstone rubble walls with hipped slate roof. 2½ storeys and 2 bays, with extensions to south and east. Square bank-mill with internal undershot water-wheel. Entrances and windows have squared plain surrounds. Simple plank doors, half-boarded sashes without glazing bars and louvre windows to attic storey. Weather vane on ridge incorporates lion (heraldic device for Howard family) with date 1839 cut through it. 3 bay extension to south has dovecote or pigeon loft, with a number of openings and a large arched cart entrance. Entrance to mill from south has slate covered porch with internal loading platform, to keep corn dry. Working water-mill with all its machinery dating between 1839 and 1930: water-wheel by Blaylock of Carlisle has 1850's date on it. Hill has had continuous use since building. Sometimes called Little Corby Mill.

Listing NGR: NY4741656908

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 47416 56908

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:50:19.