List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLME EDEN ABBEY

List entry Number: 1087685

Location

HOLME EDEN ABBEY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityWetheral

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Sep-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77748

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WETHERAL WARWICK BRIDGE NY 45 NE

6/166 Holme Eden Abbey 3. 9.73 II*

Abbey, formerly house. 1833-37 (date stone 1837 on building) by John Dobson for Peter Dixon, Cotton manufacturer of Warwick Bridge. Tooled red sandstone ashlar, moulded dressings, slate roof and numerous castellated stone chimney stacks and parapets. 2 storeys with towers of 3 storeys and numerous bays: Tudor-Gothic: large mansion house of basically 3 towers with connecting bays and wings surrounding a courtyard. Porch-tower has Gothic arch entrance with drip mould, large non-figurative stained glass window with squared leaded lights and coat-of-arms at parapet level. Windows are a mixture, some mullioned and transomed, sashes with glazing bars, diamond leaded casements and stained glass. Arched central tunnel gives access to courtyard where there were stables. Internal features include hall with freestone staircase of 3 flights supported by vaulted cantilevers with carved corbels, stone balusters with Gothic tracery and moulded stone rail: original wood panelled and plaster ceilings to every principal room: carved stone Gothic fireplaces with decorative tiles: dining room has Gothic carved wood sideboard and library has carved Gothic bookcase extending the full length of wall. Built under the supervision of James Stewart, architect of Carlisle, acting as agent, and this has previously led to some confusion. Peter Dixon had the cotton works at Warwick Bridge and in 1836 opened a large factory in Carlisle: house sold c1875 to William Watson whose trustees sold to Mr Liddell of Warwick Hall: he gave the house to nuns of the Order of St Benedict in 1921.

Listing NGR: NY4717957001

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 47179 57001

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:52:48.