List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1087645

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityBrampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jan-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77859

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 56 SW BRAMPTON OLD CHURCH

10/62 Church of St Martin (formerly listed as Brampton Church)

1.4.51 II*

Disused church. C12 with later alterations and additions. Red sandstone rubble walls, partly of reused stone from the Roman Wall (on the site of a pre-Hadrianic fort), with ashlar dressings, dressed sandstone to porch, slate roofs with coped gables. Formerly tower, nave and chancel, now only chancel and porch of 1861, with sexton's lean-to shed on north side; other parts demolished between 1787 and 1789, the stone being used to improve the chapel in Brampton. Porch has oak doors and iron gates of 1891, with tooled ashlar surround: gable has cross finial. Chancel has round head Norman lancet in south wall: reused medieval recessed arch below, rebuilt 1788; other lancets and east window are of 1891: cross finial to east gable of 1891 and belfry to west gable of 1788. Church declared redundant 1978 so interior furnishings removed. South wall of chancel has piscina and aumbry, possibly c12 and repositioned: Norman lancet has splays and stepped sill. Flagged floor includes in north east corner late C17 and early C18 grave slabs. Probably re-roofed 1891. See Transactions, Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, lxxxii, p.73-89.

Listing NGR: NY5101461557

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 82, (), 73-89

National Grid Reference: NY 51014 61557

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:55:43.