List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NAWORTH CASTLE

List entry Number: 1087643

Location

NAWORTH CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityBrampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77855

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 56 SE BRAMPTON NAWORTH

11/58 Naworth Castle

14.9.54 I

Castle and seat of the Earls of Carlisle. Probably late C13, first mentioned in 1323 (V.C.H. Cumberland p.255), licence to crenellate, 1335, granted to Ranulph de Dacre; additions c1520, for and by, Thomas Lord Dacre; further additions 1602 (date & initials W.H. on rainwater head), for Lord William Howard; Vanburgh designed music gallery and screen for 3rd Earl and may have been responsible for work on the kitchen offices; Colvin mentions work by C.H. Tatham for the 5th Earl; Salvin restored the north and east ranges after the fire of 1844. Calciferous and red dressed sandstone, lead and slate roofs, stone chimney stacks. Formerly: tower house (Dacre Tower) with south curtain wall; hall and chapel ranges with north-east angle gate tower (Lord William Howard's Tower) all altered c1520 and 1602; Morpeth Tower added to hall, 1845; C18 & C19 west and south range with Stanley Tower of 1881. East range living quarters of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has flanking 3 storey, one bay towers, with battlemented parapets to each. Small square headed mullioned windows with square leaded panes: large and small round headed mullioned windows to courtyard, have diamond leaded panes. South curtain wall has large C16 pointed arch, with recessed chamfered surround and large iron studded gates, giving access to large open courtyard; arms of Lord William Howard above. North range has external but engaged, Morpeth Tower of 2 storeys, 2 bays: hall of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has raised courtyard entrance, with carved stone panel of Dacre arms above. Square 2-light and round headed 3-light mullioned windows have diamond leaded panes. Battlemented parapet and 1982 slate roof, replacing 1845 lead (grant aided by Historic Buildings Council). West range, 3 storeys, 6 bays, is of similar details, formerly kitchens and servants'quarters, now let as flats. Interior has wood panelled library and other panelled rooms by C.J. Ferguson, with painted gesso overmantel panel of The Battle of Flodden by Burne-Jones and Sir E. Boehm, 1882. Hall gutted by fire 1844, but retains large C16 fireplace with segmental head: wooden hammer beam roof by Salvin 1845. Lord William Howard's tower is supported on ribbed arches crossing the angle of the north-east walls. Lord William's chamber has timber ceiling, c1350, from Kirkoswald Castle, with moulded beams and bosses and panels filled with flowing tracery. The oratory contains part of a screen from Lanercost Priory with crocketed ogee panels and a German painting dated 1514, representing the Flagellation, Crucifixion and Resurrection. Dacre Tower has ground floor iron yett. See, Transactions, Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, old series, iv, p.486-509; Country Life, 25 March 1911, p.414-22.

Listing NGR: NY5600762609

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Cumberland, (1901), 255
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1911), 414-22
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 4, (), 486-509

National Grid Reference: NY 55995 62585

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 05:49:02.