List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1087523

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityArthuret

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78088

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 36 NE ARTHURET ARTHURET

22/1 Church of St Michael

1.4.57

G.V. II*

Church. Dated 1609 over west entrance, built by national subscription, replacing medieval church; tower completed c1700, restored 1868. Red and yellow dressed sandstone, graduated green slate roofs. 3-storey tower/porch, 7-bay nave with north and south aisles, one-bay chancel. Tower: plank door in pointed arch, 2-light mullioned openings with louvred vents; small, chamfered-surround stair windows to left; stepped angle buttresses, string courses, battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles; weather vane with cut lettering ST MICHAEL'S. Aisles have triple cross-mullioned windows; smaller mullioned clerestory windows above. Aisles and nave with battlemented parapets and finials, stepped buttresses between aisle windows. Chancel has no side windows; replacement east window of 1868 (original now as folly at Whoof House, Aglionby) has oval at the apex of the arch and inter- secting tracery, stained glass by Scott of Carlisle. Interior; 7-bay arcade of pointed arches; C17 bowl and stem font; C15 heart brass; heraldic hatchments on 3 wooden panels and marble wall plaques, all to members of the Graham family 1657- C20. Furnishing and fittings are early C20. See, Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, vol lxvi, pp. 179-189.

Listing NGR: NY3793967666

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 66, (), 179-189
Other
Battlefields Register,

National Grid Reference: NY 37939 67666

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 10:23:02.