List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRACKENHILL TOWER

List entry Number: 1087521

Location

BRACKENHILL TOWER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityArthuret

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78085

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 46 NW ARTHURET

23/22 Brackenhill Tower

1.4.57 II*

House. Dated 1586 on stone in wall, for the Graham family, replacing earlier tower; extension dated and inscribed over entrance R.G. J.G. 1717, further extensions dated 1860 on rainwater head for the Standish family. Tower of large blocks of red sandstone rubble on chamfered plinth, string course, corbelled battlemented parapet, projecing rainwater spouts; gabled slate roof within the parapet, end stone chimney stacks: C18 brick extension with graduated green slate roof, brick chimney stack; C19 extension of dressed red sandstone with raised quoins, corbelled battlemented parapet, flat roof, stone chimney stack. Scottish baronial square tower of 2 storeys and basement, with 2-storey 1860 extension to right and 2-storey, 3-bay 1717 extension at right angles. Tower has 1860 battlemented porch with side entrance, coat of arms of Standish Family above. First floor enlarged window in roll moulded architrave with wrought iron grille; one enlarged window above and 2 smaller original windows. Ground floor side entrance to tower has studded plank door in moulded wooden architrave. Rear wall has blocked first floor doorway. Interior has vaulted ground floor chamber; newel stair gives access to the upper storeys. Brick extension has plank door in chamfered surround, blocked similar entrance to right. 2-light stone mullioned windows. 1860 extension has to rear, the present entrance, studded plank door in roll moulded architrave, large staircase window above; blank wall to left has projecting chimney breast. End wall left has canted bay window. See Curwen, Castles and Towers, 1913, pp.352-3; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, viii, pp.375-6.

Listing NGR: NY4458169480

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 352-353
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 8, (), 375-6

National Grid Reference: NY 44581 69480

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 09:49:12.