List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1087506

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityKirkandrews

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78153

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 37 SE KIRKANDREWS KIRKANDREWS ON ESK

14/70 Church of St Andrew

1.4.57 II*

Church. Dated 1776, on medieval site, restored 1893. Red sandstone ashlar walls on plinth, string courses and dentilled triangular gable pediments; graduated slate roof with coped gables. 3-bay nave/chancel aligned on a north-south axis, with south bellcote tower; Italian style. South entrance has 3-panel double doors and round-head radial fanlight; engaged Tuscan columns with triangular moulded pediment. Flanking round-headed windows, square-windows above. Square tower has sundial dated 1918 replacing clock, with commemorative inscription, corresponding round recesses to other faces; surmounted by lead domed cupola on open columns and moulded entablature; weather vane has cut lettering R.G. 1635 and F.G. 1951 (former church, rebuilt by Sir Richard Graham 1635-37 and repaired by Sir Fergus Graham 1951, hence the initials and dates). Nave has large round-headed windows in recessed round arches; tripartite north window; dentilled pediment carried round as cornice. Interior; C18 wooden panelled walls and panelled plaster ceiling; rood screen, supported on Corinthian fluted columns, and reredos are by Temple Moore. Organ cases flank chancel arch.

Listing NGR: NY3911071982

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 39110 71982

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 05:18:25.