List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILLS OCCUPIED BY GEORGE BRETTLE AND COMPANY LIMITED (THAT PART ALONG THE CHAPEL STREET FRONTAGE, BOUNDED ON THE NORTH BY THE 1834 BUILDING, INCLUDING NORTHERN REAR WING, AND, ON THE SOUTH, BY THE RECESSED, SINGLE STOREY RED BRICK BUILDING)

List entry Number: 1087409

Location

MILLS OCCUPIED BY GEORGE BRETTLE AND COMPANY LIMITED (THAT PART ALONG THE CHAPEL STREET FRONTAGE, BOUNDED ON THE NORTH BY THE 1834 BUILDING, INCLUDING NORTHERN REAR WING, AND, ON THE SOUTH, BY THE RECESSED, SINGLE STOREY RED BRICK BUILDING), CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityBelper

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-1979

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78438

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/01/2013

1/11 5167 3.2.66

CHAPEL STREET (West Side ) Mills occupied by George Brettle and Co Ltd (that part along the Chapel Street frontage, bounded on the north by the 1834 building, including northern rear wing, and, on the south, by the recessed, single starry red brick building) SK 3447 SE 1/11

II*

1834. A large stone building, with symmetrical classical facade, along Chapel Street frontage, with adjoining parts to south. Ashlar, slate roof. Three storeys. End bays of northern building of 3 windows each, slightly advanced under cornice. Thirteen windows in centre section, mostly fixed lights but some sashes with glazing bars. Angle piers, no cornice to centre. Segmental arched entrance with keystone at south aide of centre section. Mounting block adjoins this. Rear, 2 storey, northern wing has hipped slate roof and similar fenestration except one, round-arched ground floor window on rear elevation. To south of this, is a 2 storey, 3 bay stone faced section with 3 round-arched windows with glazing bars, parapet, red brick rear. Adjoining to south, recessed single storey red brick building of earlier/mid C19, with stone eaves and hipped slate roof. Nine arched windows, with glazing bars. The 1834 building was originally a warehouse for the domestic frame work knitting industry.



Listing NGR: SK3465947298

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 34659 47298

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 12:05:01.