List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1087259

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityHawkshead

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 76819

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAWKSHEAD SD 3598 Church of St Michael 12/111 and All Saints 25.3.70 GV II

Church. Late C15 or early C16, north aisle rebuilt 1578, clerestory c.1578, vestry and hearse house c.1793. Stone rubble with slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel; aisles and chapels under lean-to roofs; west tower and north-west vestry. Tower has west pointed entrance, 2-light single-chamfered- mullioned window above, and straight-headed louvred bell opening; top cornice and embattled parapet with angle pinnacles rebuilt 1875. To south a small window with clock face above, below bell opening. Vestry under lean-to roof to north of tower has 3-light mullioned windows, the mullions rounded, the lights elliptical-headed; segmental-pointed entrance to hearse house below. North aisle has similar windows of 3 lights with label moulds, western bay has entrance with elliptical-head; jambs roll moulded and arch rusticated; gabled porch of 1933. North chapel has east window of 3 lights and 5-light north window similar to those in aisle; western entrance has canted head, roll-mould and flanking hollows and Sandys arms over, with initials: IS, and date: 1578, label mould and small canopy. North clerestory has 4 windows of 3 lights with wooden mullions. Chancel has window of 1893, of 5 lights with Perpendicular tracery. South aisle has 3 straight-headed windows with cusped lights and hollow-chamfered mullions, the 1st of 3 lights with label, the 2nd of 2 lights, the 3rd of 3 lights, the 1st and 3rd probably of 1875. Chapel has pointed entrance, now window and 2-light window with label mould; east 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window. Part of cusped window head to left of former entrance. Clerestory has 4 windows of 3 segmental-headed lights. Datestone (possibly renewed) has date 1633 under cable mould (probably date of south windows). Interior has 5-bay arcades, simple segmental arches on round piers, no capitals or bases, all heavily plastered, with whitewash and painted decoration to extradoses and pier heads by J.S. Addison c.1680. Piers to south slightly square. Roof has tie beam and collar trusses; aisles have chamfered principal rafters and purlins, those to north chapel with mouldings. Nave and aisles, have wall paintings: texts in ornamental surrounds; by J. Addison c.1680; some possibly restored by W. Mackreth, 1711, also list of church wardens for that year on intrados in north arcade. Paintings to outer aisle walls and 2 in nave repainted by W. Bolton, 1876, also that to west wall. Wall monuments to nave clerestories. West wall has 2 Rawlinson monuments from church of St Dionis Backchurch, London. Daniel, died 1679 and Sir Thomas, died 1706, both elaborate, with columns, entablatures, cherubs and cartouches. In north chapel a chest tomb, William and Margaret Sandys, with recumbent effigies, dated 1578. Screens to north chapel, east wall panelling, stalls, pulpit, font, 1875. Late C19 stained glass to east and south.

Listing NGR: SD3519998062

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 35201 98060

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 02:44:25.