List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLARGHYLL HALL

List entry Number: 1087069

Location

CLARGHYLL HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityAlston Moor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73064

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 74 NW ALSTON MOOR

3/4 Clarghyll Hall 25.9.51 G.V. II*

Large house of several periods: C16 bastle, heightened and extended to north in late C17 for Nicholas Whitfield; further extended to north for Thomas Whitfield mid/late C18. Top floor of tower, east wing, and north study/chapel (incorporating remains of another bastle) added c1860 (date on tower's north gable) by Rev. Octavius James who lived here 1847-89; (he also designed his church at Kirkhaugh, Northumberland). Coursed squared rubble with quoins; C19 work of ashlar. North wing has stone-flagged roof with stone mid and end chimneys; C19 roofs of welsh slate with corbie-stepped gables and end chimney to tower; 3 gables on north side of east wing with castellated octagonal chimney to south side. L-shaped with 3-storey tower to left of centre, 2-storey north wing and projecting east wing of one tall storey, all with undercrofts. Tower has steps up to gabled C18 porch on right with C19 stone-traceried bow window on right at 1st floor level; original stone mullioned window between with similar above, that to right having inscription: N.W. JULY THE X 1679 on lintel and motto on sill. (Staircase wing to rear has similar window dated MARCH 1678). C19 mullioned windows to top floor. 5-bay north wing has wood mullioned and transomed windows. East wing in Gothic style. Interior: Tower undercroft retains original semicircular-headed door to bastle, with draw-bar slot and pivot-holes, now opening off C17 cross-passage. Heavy oak beams carry stone-flagged floor above. Large bracketed fireplace on entrance floor c1688 (date on re-positioned spice cupboard); end room in north wing on same floor has C18 cornice, panelled doors and shutters, with some original carving remaining in remodelled fireplace. Study-chapel at north end, partly destroyed by fire in 1889 in which Rev. Octavius James died.

Listing NGR: NY7257249324

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 72572 49324

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 02:04:29.