List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY GHOST

List entry Number: 1086865

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY GHOST, A683

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityMiddleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75733

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 68 NW MIDDLETON A683 (West side)

13/153 Church of Holy Ghost

II

Church. 1878-9. By C.J. Ferguson. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof with tile crest. Single vessel nave and chancel with small north vestry. Coped gables with crosses, coping and weathered buttresses to wall between nave and chancel, gabled bellcote has gabled buttresses and cinquefoil bell opening. South facade has 4 straight-headed windows with tracery and label moulds, that to eastern bay has 2 cusped panels beneath; 3-light window to 2nd bay of nave has hoodmould and cusped lights. West end has 2-light window with segmental-pointed head and hood. North facade has small gabled vestry with 2-light cross-mullioned window with cusped upper lights; lean-to porch to west, the entrance with decorative sinking to lintel; adjoining buttress has light to porch. Nave has 3-light window to eastern bay, as above, and 2 straight-headed windows, as above to 2nd bay. Western bay has pointed entrance with continuous moulding. East end has 3-light window, the central light large and round-headed, probably designed to fit existing stained glass window. Interior: Single-rafter roof has scissor and collar braces. Octagonal font with quatrefoil panels and lettering, enriched flat cover. Western screen with segmental central opening. Cusped lights and brattishing. Double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner chamfer on corbels. Enriched timber pulpit and lectern in C16 style. Tracery fronts to stalls. South seat recess between window. Reredos in C16 style. North vestry door and wall memorial to Anne Moore (died 1772), fluted pilasters, frieze and broken pediment and apron. Late C19 stained glass, east window has 3 lights dated 1862, the tracery lights later.

Listing NGR: SD6230786191

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 62307 86191

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 07:02:07.