List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1086650

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCopelandDistrict AuthorityBootle

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 76306

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOOTLE MAIN STREET SD 18 NW (east side) 12/6 Church of St Michael 8.9.67 GV II Church. Medieval but heavily restored C19, transepts 1837, west tower c.1860-80. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings, chancel roughcast, and slate roofs. Nave with transepts and west tower, chancel with south organ loft. Tower has angle buttresses and string courses. West entrance has pointed trefoil head under relieving arch, 2 lancets and clock above, north canted stair turret has hipped roof with tiny dormer. 2 lancet louvred bell openings with flanking blind lancets; Lombard frieze, coped parapet with pinnacles; pyramidal roof with cross. 2-bay nave has lancets with continuous hoodmould extended across transepts; north elevation has traces of entrance. Transepts have stepped triple lancets with single lancets to returns, that to south with lateral stack. Chancel has 3-light round-headed window over raking base, with massive raking buttress to south; coped gable with cross; north elevation has 2-light window with tracery and entrance with shouldered lintel; south elevation has lean-to organ loft with quoins and deeply splayed lancets. Interior: has nave and transepts with collar and tie-beam trusses, ceiled above collars, with king and queen struts. 2-bay arcades to transepts, round chancel arch is double-chamfered, part original. Octagonal font on C19 stem has shields to sides, initials: RB (possibly R Brown, rector c.1535); Hudleston arms and black-letter inscription; C19 pinnacled cover. Chancel has piscina in C19 surround; small wall brass to Sir Hugh Askew (died 1562). C19 stalls with traceried panels. E window by Hardman, chancel north window by Holiday (date of death 1899) and transept windows by Ward and Hughes.



Listing NGR: SD1072588392

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 10725 88392

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 01:07:06.