List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WITH DAY CENTRE

List entry Number: 1086418

Location

FORMER PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WITH DAY CENTRE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
MedwayUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 173212

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STROOD HIGH STREET TQ 7369 SE 6/277 Former Parish Church of St Nicholas, with Day Centre 24.10.50 II Former parish church, now partly a day centre and partly a chapel. W tower C14 much renewed, body of church 1812 by Robert Smirke. Late-C19 and late-C20 additions to N, the latter for offices to day centre. Coursed rubble ragstone, Welsh slate roof, tower with flint and ragstone banding. The interior has been divided, but the 3 E bays of the nave still used as a chapel. W tower, undivided nave, shallow sanctuary, S porch. Tower: no buttresses; the round-headed W doorway and blocked window above do not look Norman. The flint and ragstone banding decoration is normally taken to be C14. 3 stages and battlements; quoining. Triple lancet belfry openings. Smirke's nave, 5 bays, round-headed 2-light windows with transoms; renewed stone parapet; shallow pedimented sanctuary with 4 round-headed lancets and a roundel contained within a superordinate arch; very wide angle pilaster strips. S porch, also pedimented, partly glazed doors and fanlight with glazing bars. 2 late C20 glazed doors punched into nave (S wall, to W) to serve day centre. Interior: Perpendicular tower arch. Sanctuary ceiling and arch with Edwardian paintings of angels on decorative background, oil on plaster. Earlier, Victorian, stained glass to E and side windows.

Listing NGR: TQ7354869290

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 73541 69295

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:44:56.