List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BREWERS HOUSE MILGATE HOUSE TUDOR MILGATE

List entry Number: 1086203

Location

BREWERS HOUSE, ASHFORD ROAD
MILGATE HOUSE, ASHFORD ROAD
TUDOR MILGATE, ASHFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentMaidstoneDistrict AuthorityThurnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Jul-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 173698

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 85 SW THURNHAM ASHFORD ROAD (south side)

9/189 Milgate House, Tudor Milgate and Brewers 26.4.68 House. (formerly listed as Milgate Park)

GV I

House. Front range early C18 with mid C18 addition, rear court- yard wings mid-to-late C16 with late C17 or early C18 alterations which are possibly of 2 periods. Front range (north): reddish- grey brick in Flemish bond with red brick dressings; chequered red and grey brick to return elevations. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys and attics on short stone plinth. Wood modillion eaves cornice. Grey brick parapet with recessed red brick panels over windows. Hipped roof returning along side elevations,' 4 panelled rear brick stacks. 2 dormers with segmental pediments, Slight central projection- with triangular pediment over con- taining red brick-dressed keyed oeil-de-boeuf. Regular 7- window front of tall glazing-bar sashes, central 3 in projection. Central first-floor window set in broad red brick panel and has segmental head. All windows have gauged red brick voussoirs with triple keyblocks and recessed panels below. Panels of first-floor windows have very thin moulded red brick cills. Red brick chainage between ground and first-floor windows and red brick dressings to corners of building.Central wooden door- case with fluted Corinthian pilasters carrying entablature with foliated frieze bearing intertwined initials WC. Flat corniced hood on scrolled brackets over. Left return elevation: regular four-window front in chequered red and grey brick in same style as front elevation. Mid C18 canted bay added to right gable end, Straight front elevation in red brick, canted end in chequered red and grey brick. 2 storeys on low stone plinth with wood modillion eaves cornice matching rest of front elevation, and parapet with hint of castellation at corners. 'Windows in canted end only, as those of early C18 but without keystones and chainage. First floor windows have blind cases. Rear right-hand wing (west): recessed from original gable end of front block. Originally possibly partly timber-framed; ground floor red brick in English bond with traces of diapering, first floor probably late C17, lightly chequered red and grey brick in Flemish bond. Plain tile roof. 2 lower storeys and attics on higher stone plinth with brick coping. Plat band and scrolled wood modillion eaves cornice. Ridge stack towards centre. Very large projecting stack towards right end, on stone plinth, brick above in English bond with diapering, corniced towards top with 4 flues with flat and diamond fillets and circular brick posts. 2 hipped dormers. Regular 6-window front of glazing bar sashes with rubbed brick voussoirs and blind cases. French windows to ground floor. Rear left-hand wing (east): recessed from and lower than front range of Milgate House. Has partly timber-framed core of mid-to-late C16 with late C17 or very early C18 facade of chequered red and grey brick with plain tile roof. 2 storeys and attics on plinth with moulded stone coping. Plat band. Wood modillion eaves cornice projecting over first-floor windows, with small scrolled modillionsgrouped in 3s in gaps between windows. Regular 6-window front of glazing-bar sashes with thick glazing bars and rubbed brick heads. 2 hipped dormers towards centre. Thin brick ridge stack towards left end. Large stack at right end shared with front range. Single storey C19 pentice projecting from front at left end. Rear range of courtyard (south elevation): possibly has partly timber-framed mid-to-late C16 core, largely re-faced in 2 periods in late C17 or very early C18. Left one third in similar materials to west elevation, right two thirds in similar materials to east elevation, with straight joint between the two. Cornice of east elevation continued across whole of south elevation. 2 storeys and attics. Roof hipped both ends to continue along side elevations. Stack in front slope of roof to right of centre. Rectangular wooden louvre on ridge to left of centre. 3 hipped dormers. Regular 7-window front of 4 C19 sashes without glazing- bars, and 3 glazing-bar sashes, one beneath stack very narrow. Ground floor of left one third has two 4-light ovolo-moulded mullion windows with continuous hood-mould over. Right end of elevation has two 8-light mullioned and transomed windows, mullions with plain chamfers to outside and mixture of plain and ovolo to interior. C20 panelled door to right of straight joint and heavy panelled possibly C18 door now in C19 single- storey pentice rebuilt in C20 at right gable end. Interior: Front range has tall entrance hall with fielded panelling. Well staircase with fielded panelling, ramped with fluted Corinthian pilasters against wall. Small finely-carved open string balusters, 3 to tread, twisted fluted, straight fluted and corkscrew in sequence, with moulded hand rail and scrolled cheeks. Marketry to half-landings. Ceiling and part of walls of stairwell painted with mythological scenes, attributed to Lanscroon. Ground-floor room to right of hall has fielded panelling, moulded cornice, and finely-carved fireplace surround. Ground-floor room to left of hall retains deep early C18 cornice, fielded panelling with bolection moulded surrounds and fireplace flanked from floor to ceiling by fluted Corinthian pilasters with moulded abaci. Room behind this has similar panelling and cornice, and fireplace flanked by equally imposing fluted pilasters with capitals in a Doric style. First floor rooms have plain fielded panelling and moulded cornices. West wing and west end of south range: has massive fireplace in south-west ground-floor room. Moulded beam. Door into same room with moulded jambs and vase stops. Raised and fielded panelling and moulded dado rails in first-floor rooms. Rooms to north have assortment of C17 panelling. First- floor corridor in west wing, next to courtyard, has internal studded wall, possibly of late C16. Staggered butt purlin roof. East wing and east two thirds of south range. Wall-post in west wall of east wing on first floor. Moulded beams to ground floor and door similar to that in west wing. First floor rooms have moulded cornices, raised and fielded panelling and moulded dado rail, some replaced. Staggered butt purlin roof. Late C16 house probably largely the work of Sir Thomas Fludd, d. 1607. Front range built for William Cage, Sheriff of Kent, 1695, M.P. for Rochester 1702, 1710 and 1713. Brickwork of similar character to that of Larkfield at Bradbourne (1713 - 15) Late C17 and early C18 refacing probably also for William Cage. Extension to right probably for Lewis Cage c. 1760. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments report, unpublished, April 1977. J. Newman, West Kent and the Weald 1980 edition).

Listing NGR: TQ8091654940

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

National Grid Reference: TQ 80784 54720

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 07:06:33.