List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1086193

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentMaidstoneDistrict AuthorityStockbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 173667

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 86 SW STOCKBURY CHURCH LANE (south side)

2/161 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 26.4.68 GV I

Parish Church. Late C12, C13, C15, east half restored after 1836, nave restored 1851 - 2 by R.C. Hussey. Flint with stone dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, nave, south porch, south transept, chancel, north transept, north porch. Aisles roofed as lean-tos. West tower at an angle to nave. C15. 2 stages on plinth with gargoyles and battlemanted parapet, top reconstructed by Hussey. Original circular stair turret to south-east corner with small 2-centred arched door with hood-mould and hollow chamfer, at base. C19 circular turret to north side. Early Perpendicular west window. Large weathervane on SE stair turret decorated with date 1676. South aisle wall and south porch by Hussey. South transept: Plinthless. 2 restored lancets to east wall. Chancel: Circa 1200. Lower than nave. Plinthless. 2 large restored lancets, with hood-moulds terminating in curved stiff-leaf, to south wall and 2 to north wall. East end C19. North transept: plinthless. 2 unrestored lancets to east wall. Large Perpendicular north window, part restored, said to have been east-window of chancel. North aisle: late C12 origin. Plinth. Octagonal rood-loft stair turret with restored battlemented parapet at east end. 2 restored Perpendicular windows. North porch: now vestry. On plinth, with buttresses. Moulded doorway with hoodmould, and square panel with quatrefoil and escutcheon above it. C19 octagonal stone chimney on rectangular flint base at junction with aisle. Interior: Structure: 4-bay nave with blocked round-headed clerestory windows. All but west pier on either side rebuilt in C19. North-west pier has original waterleaf capital and bell base. South-west pier has Perpendicular capital and bell base is similar to north-west pier. 4-bay arcaded chancel, 2 west bays open to transepts. North arcade and east half of south arcade have slender detached Purbeck marble shafts with waterleaf bases and delicate stiff- leaf capitals, with square moulded abaci bearing arches with hollow chamfers and deep roll mouldings. Several restored. East, central and west pier of arcade crossing south transept much larger, of ordinary stone, central and west piers with highly elaborate sprayed stiff-leaf capitals. C19 chancel arch. Arch between south transept and south aisle has partly restored columns with stiff-leaf capitals and waterleaf bases. Part of much larger round-headed arch with plain impost, extending beyond line of south aisle,embedded in west wall of south transept. Fragements of early medieval window jambs in south wall. Triple lancets to east wall with worn keel moulding; central lancet, blocked, with Early English shafts, removed from chancel. Plain corbelled imposts to north transept lancets. North-west corner of north transept contains jamb with hollow chamfer with stiff-leaf chamfer-stop to top and eight-petalled flowers, made from stones found in south aisle wall. Roof: nave roof of 5 moulded crown-posts on moulded cambered tie-beams. Moulded cornice and braced pendant posts. South transept with 2 octagonal moulded crown- posts on moulded tie-beams. Ashlar pieces and moulded cornice to east side. Rest ceiled or C19. Fittings: remains of Perpendicular traceried screens between chancel and transepts. Compelte possibly medieval grisaille glass in north-east lancet of north transept. Piscina in south wall of chancel with delicate minature attached columns with stiff-leaf capitals and water-leaf bases and restored trefoil head. C17 ogee wooden font cover. Monuments: 2 brasses on chancel floor; on north side to Dorothy Hooper, d. 1648; on south side to John Hooper d. 1617. (Archaeologia Cantiana, Notes and Queries, "XIX" Century Restorations at Stockbury Church", Vol. 25, 1902.).

Listing NGR: TQ8452061692

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Cantiana' in Archaeologia Cantiana, , Vol. 25, (1902)

National Grid Reference: TQ 84685 61676

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 12:31:48.