List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST JOHN'S JERUSALEM

List entry Number: 1085776

Location

ST JOHN'S JERUSALEM, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentDartfordDistrict AuthoritySutton-at-Hone and Hawley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 172717

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5274 SUTTON-AT-HONE MAIN ROAD (east side)

St John's Jerusalem TQ 57 SE 4/81 1.8.52

II* GV

2. A preceptory of the order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem was founded here in 1199 by Robert de Basing. The main portion of the building dates from the C13 and was the Chapel of the Preceptory, but it was much altered by Edward Hasted, the County Historian in 1755-6. Two storeys and attics. The east end is faced with flints and has 2 lancet windows at first floor level which light the chapel. To the west of these is a buttress of flints and stone, then a blocked pointed mediaeval stone doorway and then another lancet. Double piscina inside. The remainder of the original building to the west has been refaced with red brick in the C18. This has 4 windows, with wide glazing bars intact, on ground and first floors are stone lancet windows and a doorcase with Gibbs surround and pediment over. Above the whole of the original portion are 4 pedimented dormers which were added in the C19. Tiled roof. To the west of the original building is a late C18 addition of higher elevation erected on the foundation of a C13 tower. This is stuccoed and has long and short quoins at its west end, a wooden modillion eaves cornice, one window and a pedimented dormer. To the north-east is an L-wing in buff brick added in the C19. The interior contains a C17 kitchen with inglenook, main staircase of circa 1755 with turned balusters, a drawing room with C18 panelling and dado rail and Mrs Hasted's boudoir circa 1755 with fireplace, panelling, Greek key patterned dado rail and swag ornaments to window wall. Abraham Hill (1635-1726) a founder member of the Royal Society lived here from 1667 to 1721 and Edward Hasted, the Historian of Greek, from 1757 to 1776.

Listing NGR: TQ5589670372

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 55888 70353

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:09:09.