List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MYSTOLE HOUSE SOUTH MYSTOLE WEST WING

List entry Number: 1085682

Location

MYSTOLE HOUSE, MYSTOLE
SOUTH MYSTOLE, MYSTOLE
WEST WING, MYSTOLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentCanterburyDistrict AuthorityChartham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1980

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 171080

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5273 CHARTHAM MYSTOLE

Mystole House, South Mystole and West Wing (formerly listed as Mystole House and Georgian House) TR 05 SE 11/257 29.9.52.

II* GV

2. This mansion originally called Mystole House was built by Charles Fagge in the early C18 on the site of a C16 house built by John Bungey Prebendary of Christ Church Canterbury. Its principal front faces north. This is of two storeys, attics and cellars. Red brick. Hipped tiled roof with wooden modillion eaves cornice. Nine sashes with glazing bars intact. The centre portion of three windows projects with a pediment over in which the modillions have consoles below them and an attic window in the tympanum with a curved brick pediment over this window. Central doorcase with fluted Doric pilasters, triglyph frieze, pediment and semi-circular fanlight. Ground floor addition of two windows at west end with parapet over having a ball capital at its outer angle and a round-headed doorway with door of six fielded panels. The east front in 1895 was altered by Sir R Blomfield and now has six windows and five pedimented dormers, but originally had only three windows and two dormers. Modern bay window added at north end on ground and first floors. In the centre is a modern projection with a large attic storey. To the south of this is a further modern addition matching the original portion plus its modern bay. At the west of the building are service portions which are probably C17, known as West Wing. The interior contains some panelling and marble fireplaces.

Listing NGR: TR0952053752

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 09520 53752

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:36:38.