List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE DEANERY

List entry Number: 1085676

Location

THE DEANERY, BOLTS HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentCanterburyDistrict AuthorityChartham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 171064

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5273 CHARTHAM BOLTS HILL

The Deanery TR 1055 29/227 30.1.67.

II* GV

2. Interior features of early C14 and late C14 but exterior C18. The north-west front is dated 1745. Two storeys red brick. Tiled roof in three hips. Parapet. Stringcourse. Seven sashes with glazing bars intact. Doorcase with moulded architrave surround with flat hood over and door of six fielded panels. Rainwater head inscribed "1745 L ". Modern bay of 3 windows on the ground floor. Modern AE additions to the north-east. Of the south-east front, the centre portion, which is of one storey only, is contemporary. It has 2 Venetian windows and between them, a wide porch with coupled fluted columns, and a doorcase containing double doors of six moulded panels. On each side is a modern gabled portion of two storeys and attics in the place of the original projecting wings which were demolished in the early C20. The interior contains the roof and three walls of the Great Hall built by Prior Henry of Eastry in 1303. The roof form is of paired rafters with two collars, the lower one being supported by raking struts. Two crownposts of the solar built by Prior Chillenden in 1394 remain. Frescos survive at the east end of the hall. There are also a Jacobean fireplace with carved and panelled overmantel, an C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each step and C18 Adam style marble fireplace and panelled doors. This was before the reformation a country residence of the Priors of Christ Church Priory Canterbury. After the Reformation the Deans of Canterbury used it as a country residence. In C17 it was sold to a Leghorn merchant Anthony Lefroy.

Listing NGR: TR1007255087

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 10072 55087

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:56:25.