List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CRANE HOUSE THE STOCKS OUTSIDE THE TOWN HALL THE TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1085670

Location

THE CRANE HOUSE, KING STREET
THE STOCKS OUTSIDE THE TOWN HALL, KING STREET
THE TOWN HALL, KING STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentCanterburyDistrict AuthorityFordwich

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1980

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 171149

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/02/2012

TR 1859 27/225 5273 29.9.52 30.1.67

FORDWICH KING STREET (north side) The Town Hall and The Crane House, with the stocks outside the Town Hall

GV II*

Fordwich is associated with the Cinque Ports as a limb of Sandwich and was a Corporation by prescription until it was deprived of its municipal status by the Municipal Corporations Act 1883. The Town Hall comprised a storeroom and prison on the ground floor and the court room and jury room over. It is probably an early C15 building, and there is evidence that it was extensively repaired in 1474. Timber framed building, the ground floor rebuilt in brick, stone rubble and flints. The first floor is close studded with herringbone brick nagging on the east and south sides and plaster infilling on the west side, all three oversailing on a moulded bressumer and brackets with a red brick buttress giving support at the south east corner. Steeply-pitched hipped tile roof. Casement windows of four lights with 4-centred heads, wooden mullions, diamond-shaped leaded panes and old green glass. Two storeys, One window each facing east, south and north. The tiny prison on the ground floor retains its bed, while the wooden stocks are placed in the forecourt to the south. The court room above also has its original fittings and a crownpost roof. To the north is an addition of tarred weatherboarding with a tiled roof. This was the Crane House. The north gable end facing the river Stour is jettied. At the north east angle is a swinging post with a cross-piece like a gallows, from which a large hook is suspended for the raising and lowering of goods.

Listing NGR: TR1804759814

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 18047 59814

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 02:26:00.