List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1085172

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTunbridge WellsDistrict AuthoritySandhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 170288

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDHURST TQ72NE CHURCH ROAD 1350-0/5/179 CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS 20/06/67 GV II* Parish church. Nave and chancel C13 and C14, aisles and west tower C14, heavily restored and chancel largely rebuilt by R.C. Carpenter in 1875. Built of sandstone with tiled roof. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles with north chantry chapel, north porch and C19 south porch. C14 west tower in 3 stages with renewed reticulated window to 1st stage and tall shallow angled buttress, louvred lancets to bell stage and arched doorcase with hood moulding. Top replaced in C16 brickwork. North and South aisles, the south aisle having 3 restored triple cinque foiled light windows with Kentish tracery. Plinth. Nave has clerestorey with lancets. C19 north porch, wooden on sandstone base with tiled roof. Interior: West tower opens by arches to North and South into lean to aisles and has semi-octagonal responds with sunk quadrant. C14 sandstone font with Decorated tracery pattern on each face. Nave of 4 bays with C14 arcade with octagonal piers of 2 dates, except for easternmost, piers rebuilt in C19. Clerestorey lancets are probably C13. North aisle has roll-moulded roof and rood stairs. Chantry Chapel or Betherynden Chapel built c.1450 by Sir Richard Betherynden of Old Place. South aisle has in East window stained glass depicting St Michael of c.1450, reset from the Chantry Chapel. South window has remains of C15 glass, also from the Chantry Chapel, depicting St George, a priest and an abbess. Piscina between them and stoup on one side of South door. 4 bay chancel has C14 aumbry but was heavily restored by R.C. Carpenter. C19 barrel vaulted ceiling. C18 wall tablet to members of Hodson family, swansneck pediment with urn in center and console brackets. 3 bells date from the C17, the oldest (No. 5) a C15 one is no longer used. Titus Oates began his clerical career here as an assistant curate. (West Kent and the Weald).

Listing NGR: TQ7905427314

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

National Grid Reference: TQ 79056 27308

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 08:21:33.