List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CLOCK TOWER

List entry Number: 1085006

Location

THE CLOCK TOWER, CENTRAL PARADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentCanterburyDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 170687

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5273 CENTRAL PARADE Herne Bay ---------------- The Clock Tower TR 1768 SE 1/7 29.9.51.

II

2. Erected in 1836-7. Architect Edwin J Dangerfield. Portland stone. Round tower surrounded on the ground floor by 4 fluted Doric columns on each front (counting the corner ones twice) supporting a triglyph frieze and projecting cornice (of which the centre is recessed with a panel inserted) with 4 steps above. Inset on these steps stand 4 Corinthian columns surrounding the tower, with between them on the east and west fronts a round-headed niche with an architrave over supported on consoles. The columns support an entablature with dentilled cornice. Above this the tower is square, each face flanked by pilasters with leaf capitals and containing a clock face. Entablature and pediment above on each face, and then an octagonal cupola containing 4 round-headed openings with pilasters between them, cornice, parapet and dome over surmounted by pinnacle and weather vane. On the east and west fronts of the ground floor is a doorway in moulded architrave surround, wider at the bottom than the top, with pediment over supported on consoles and containing double doors of 6 fielded panels. The north and south fronts have window spaces in moulded architrave surrounds with cornice over of which that on the north side has been converted into a war memorial of the South African War. The panel inserted in the entablature of the ground floor on the east aide has the inscription: - "The gift of Mrs Ann Thwaites to this town, 11 October, A.D. 1837." 2 cannons now stand between the columns on the seaward side.

Listing NGR: TR1768968411

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 17689 68411

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 07:22:34.