List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PROVIDENCE CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1084808

Location

PROVIDENCE CHAPEL, STONE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTunbridge WellsDistrict AuthorityCranbrook

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 169090

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRANBROOK STONE STREET TQ 7736 SE (west side) 10/99 20.6.67 Providence Chapel - II*

Presbyterian chapel. 1795, 1803, 1808, 1818 and 1828 with late C19 alterations. Timber-framed and weatherboarded with slate roofs, hidden by parapet to front. Weatherboarded to front on first floor with masonry grooving on wooden supports of which one column has a Doric capital. The rest renewed or altered. Polygonal front of 7 faces on first floor. The central five with tall round- headed sashes with glazing bars in open boxes, the centre window being false. Ground floor to rear has evidence of two different builds of brick work. Staircases to chapel against westernmost bay of polygonal front and against east wall, which continues to gallery. INTERIOR: Baptisting under polygonal front in centre of floor in front of pulpit, (1914). Vestries also on ground floor. Chapel has flat plaster ceiling with ceiling beams showing stages of enlargement. South and west galleries with reeded edges to panels separated by reeded pilasters, all supported on columns, now marbled. Pulpit with 5-sided front and applied reeded mouldings to panels, supported on two marbled fluted columns. Seating, of early C19, benches with backs filled later. See B.O.E., W Kent, P237.

Listing NGR: TQ7767836008

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Newman, J - Title: The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald - Date: 1980 - Page References: 237

National Grid Reference: TQ 77678 36008

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:17:20.