List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAIN QUADRANGLE AND MEMORIAL HALL ATTACHED, AT HAILEYBURY AND IMPERIAL SERVICE COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1084375

Location

MAIN QUADRANGLE AND MEMORIAL HALL ATTACHED, AT HAILEYBURY AND IMPERIAL SERVICE COLLEGE, LONDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHertford Heath

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355848

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT AMWELL LONDON ROAD TL 3510 (east side)

14/11 Main Quadrangle and Memorial Hall attached, 24.1.67 at Haileybury and Imperial Service College (Formerly listed as part of Haileybury College) GV II*

Public School. Designed by William Wilkins (1778-1839) in 1806 as the East India College for the Honourable East India Company's future civil servants (opened 1809: closed 1858: reopened as a public school in 1862: amalgamated with the Imperial Service College 1942). Domed chapel 1876-7 by Arthur Blomfield, dome rebuilt after a fire 1878: cloisters added 1885. Chapel interior remodelled and apse added 1936 by Herbert Baker. Big School (school hall) 1912-14 by J W Simpson and Maxwell Ayston. Memorial Hall (dining Hall) 1930-32 by Herbert Baker and Oscar Faber. The Wilkins buildings formed a symmetrical square campus of 2-storeys in 'Ware white brick' with slate roofs, entered from the W through a Greek Ionic distyle screen in Portland stone between pilastered lodged in the middle of the W range. These linked, formerly by lower buildings, to the Chaplain's and Principal's houses to N and S. The N and E ranges contained 4 students' 'houses' separated by professors' residences. The chapel, library, committee room and dining hall were grouped in double height spaces in the S range linked by open Ionic porticos (distyle in antis) to the Principal's house at the W, and the kitchen block at the E end. The long perspective of the S front, faced in Portland Stone, formed a picturesque composition with the landscaping by Humphrey Repton (1809). It is a symmetrical 5-part composition punctuated by prostyle Greek Ionic porticos, hexastyle in the centre, marking the original library set at right angles to the rest of the range, and tetrastyle fronting the open porticos representing the screens passages of more traditional college planning. The former chapel and hall have regular pilasters and a tall Greek window in each bay with architrave and converging jambs. The stone-faced-terminal blocks are of 2 storeys each with a 3-window central bay breaking forward. All but the chancel of the chapel became the present library in 1880 when the old library became the nave of the present chapel, by A Blomfield built in brick in the Quad in Lombardic Romanesque style topped by an octagonal drum, dome and cupola. Slates on dome replaced by copper 1927. Apse added by Baker rising sheer from Quad and he inserted an inner dome, with roundels in the pendentives by Charles Wheeler. The old dining hall became the present Council Room after the Memorial Hall was built by Baker in 1930-32 linked to the outside of the N range but symmetrical about the main axis. This encloses a vast square domed space engineered by Oscar Faber, oak panelling and stone. Simple exterior in brick with stone dressings. Central in E range and facing into the Quad, Big School by Simpson and Ayrton 1912-14 is an assembly hall with a Portland Stone facade of 2- storeys and attic storey topped by a balustraded parapet. An Ionic giant-order with full entablature and paived columns at the ends decorates the W front. The interior of the hall has a rusticated base and a procenium in the form of a triumphal gateway. The clock and old cupola on the pedimented brick block in the centre of the N side of the Quad are said to have been moved forward when this bay was extended out. A striking picturesque composition in the Neo-Classical idiom of 1806 showing a Greek Ionic interpretation of the medieval college layout and by reason of its early date it constitutes a landmark in the history of English taste, the springtime of the Greek Revival (Crook (1964) 14): Axial additions and an unusual dome have not compromised the neo-classical conception. Associated with many distinguished professors, among them Rev. T R Malthus. The building forms the centrepiece of an extensive group of buildings of architectural interest, and is an important feature in the sylvan landscape of the Heath. The chapel dome is a landmark. (sources: J Mordant Crook Haileybury and the Greek Rivival Haileybury 1964. W J W Blunt The Haileybury Buildings 1966: VCH (1912) 415).

Listing NGR: TL3580810787

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Blunt, W J W, The Haileybury Buildings, (1966)
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 415
Mordaunt Crook, J , Haileybury and the Greek Revival, (1964)

National Grid Reference: TL 35808 10787

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 08:49:35.