List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1083728

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityAppleby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165962

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 9515 APPLEBY CHURCH LANE (north side)

15/3 Church of St Bartholomew

6.11.67 GV II*

Parish church. C13 nave arcade, C14-C15 tower, chancel arch. Repaired 1752-53. Restorations of 1821-23 by Joseph Fowler of Winterton included rebuilding nave clerestory, aisles, chancel, part of tower and rendering exterior; rendering removed 1868-70. Restorations of 1882 by J S Crowther of Alderley Edge, Cheshire, included rebuilding belfry, adding tower buttresses and staircase, new buttresses, parapets and roofs to nave and aisles (and probably to chancel), restoring windows, re-flooring, re- seating. Coursed limestone rubble with strap pointing to lower 3 stages of tower, squared limestone to nave, aisles and chancel; small section of herringbone masonry to west side of north aisle; limestone ashlar top stage to tower; ashlar dressings throughout. Slate roof. West tower with west entrance, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Moulded plinth throughout. 4-stage tower: moulded string courses, full-height angle-buttresses with offsets; staircase lighting slits to north-west. Pointed double-chamfered door with hood-mould and carved angel stops; blind traceried panelled 2-fold door; C19 pointed 2- light traceried window cutting string course with hood-mould and carved angel stops. Narrow west lancet to second stage. Belfry has tall pointed 2-light openings with Perpendicular tracery and hood-mould returned as string course. Corbel table with carved masks, figures, and pairs of angle gargoyles; coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. Nave: square-headed 3-light trefoiled clerestory windows. Aisles: buttresses, pointed 3-light windows with curvilinear tracery. Nave and aisles have ornate corbel tables with carved masks, figures etc and coped embattled parapets with crocketed angle pinnacles. Chancel: angle and mid-buttresses, pointed 2-light north and south windows, and pointed 3-light east window with curvilinear tracery; coped embattled parapet. Pointed double-chamfered door and square-headed 3-light trefoiled window to vestry. All windows with hood-moulds and finely-carved headstops. Porch: deep moulded plinth, angle buttresses, pointed shafted outer arch and pointed moulded inner arch with hood-moulds and headstops; blind traceried door. Interior. Nave arcades have pointed double-chamfered arches on filleted quatrefoil west piers with waterholding bases and octagonal east piers with moulded bases, both with nailhead moulding to the capitals, and corbelled responds with carved whorls to the east, heads to the west; piers and arches are re-cut. Tall pointed tower arch of 3 orders with wave moulding, plain and hollow chamfers on restored double-chamfered responds with moulded capitals. Fine pointed hollow-chamfered chancel arch of 2 orders on chamfered responds with single carved flowers to the moulded capitals. Shafted east window with foliate capitals, hood-mould and headstops. Fine 3-bay single hammer-beam oak roof (probably by Fowler, repaired by Crowther) has moulded wall-plate and traceried panel above, carved winged angels to main and intermediate trusses and carved ashlar corbels to main trusses with angels playing instruments. Aisle roofs have moulded purlins and trusses supported on carved corbels. C14 ashlar altar-tomb or Easter sepulchre to north side of chancel has finely-carved panels with blind reticulated and curvilinear tracery and black marble top with indent for missing brass. Romanesque drum font with blind arcading of intersecting round arches on round piers; C19 base. Very fine C18 carved oak altar rails, probably Flemish, probably inserted by Fowler: central gate flanked by 2 panels each side with luxuriant foliage, chalice, ewer etc. Octagonal carved oak pulpit by J Fowler incorporates a series of exceptional relief panels, probably C16 Flemish, including scenes from the life of Joseph; elaborate tester, probably also by Fowler, with open tracery, crocketed pinnacles etc. In south aisle, a square traceried window panel with central rose, reputedly from nearby Thornholme Priory. Stained glass east window with central crucifixion scene by J B Capronnier of Brussells, 1862. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 170-1; J T Fowler, The Correspondence of William Fowler, 1907, 401-7, 451.

Listing NGR: SE9531215066

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Fowler, J T - Title: The Correspondence of William Fowler of Winterton - Date: 1907 - Page References: 401-7,451
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 170-1

National Grid Reference: SE 95312 15066

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 01:35:55.