List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HYBALD

List entry Number: 1083707

Location

CHURCH OF ST HYBALD, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityHibaldstow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 166011

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 9602-9702 HIBALDSTOW CHURCH STREET (south-east side)

20/51 Church of St Hybald

6.11.67

GV II

Parish church. Partly-restored C13 tower arch and chancel south window. C14-C15 font. Chancel of 1865-6 by Ewan Christian; nave, north aisle and vestry of 1875 by James Fowler of Louth; tower of 1958-60 by Lawrence Bond. Nave, aisle, porch and chancel of coursed limestone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings; tower of concrete blocks with ashlar dressings. Plain tiles to tower roof, slate roofs to remainder. Nave and chancel in C13 style; tower in Gothic Revival style. West tower, 4-bay nave with north aisle, south porch and 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. 3-stage tower with pyramidal roof. Nave and north aisle: plinth, buttresses between bays; single and twin lancets with hood-moulds, sill string course. Chancel: quoins, buttress to south; pointed chamfered south door with hood- mould, tall C13 lancet to left, pair C19 lancets to right; stepped east lancets. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch on octagonal responds with plain moulded capitals and bases, most of north respond and part of south restored. C19 pointed double-chamfered arcade on cylindrical piers with moulded capitals and bases, corbelled responds; ornate pointed chancel arch with fillet mouldings on corbelled wall shafts with dogtooth moulding. Fine Cl4-C15 carved Perpendicular font with octagonal bowl on C19 pedestal and base, the bowl decorated with foliate cresting to the side panels, and a band of fleurons and series of rosettes, faces and an angel on the underside. N Pevsner and J Harris The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 273.

Listing NGR: SE9795102620

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 273

National Grid Reference: SE 97951 02620

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 12:02:50.