List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1083706

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, VICARAGE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityCadney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 166008

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA OO SW CADNEY VICARAGE LANE (south-east side) 11/48 Church of All Saints 6.11.67 GV I

Parish church. Mid C12 arcade with early C13 east bay, C13 tower and chancel, early C14 south aisle, C15 porch, upper stage and parapet to tower. Mid - late C15 chancel and chapel parclose screens. North aisle demolished, nave and chancel roofs altered in 1780. Restorations of 1912-13 by Sir Charles Nicholson included partially rebuilding south aisle, new east chancel and north nave windows, repairs to roofs, re-seating, new porch entrance. General restorations c1960. Tower of coursed limestone and ironstone rubble with galleted joints, ironstone ashlar top stage and parapet; chancel of coursed limestone rubble; remainder in coursed limestone and ironstone rubble with squared blocks to later sections; limestone and ironstone dressings throughout, with brick surrounds to nave north windows. Lead roofs. West tower, 4-bay nave with south aisle, south porch and 3-bay chancel. 4-stage tower: quoins, wide chamfered plinth, moulded string courses between stages. First stage: west needle lancet with hood-mould. Stepped-in second stage: west lancet with weathered perforated wooden window. Short third stage has much-weathered twin lancet belfry openings with monolithic heads and chamfered central shafts supporting through- imposts (outer shafts missing from north and west sides). Much-weathered corbel table. Very short fourth stage. Coped embattled parapet with stumps of angle pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth, round-headed 3-light windows with Gothic Revival tracery to north side. South aisle: quoins, restored chamfered plinth and buttresses to centre and angles; 2 square-headed 3- light trefoiled windows with restored mullions hood-moulds, similar restored 2-light west window, pointed 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, hood-mould and fine headstops. Chancel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and single buttresses to east bay; south side has blocked pointed door with chamfered jambs and hollow chamfered arch with hood-mould, 2 lancets with hood-moulds, single headstop, and sill string course cut by trefoiled lancet with hood-mould and carved stops; 2 lancets with hood-moulds and headstops to north with string course above; partly-restored 4-centred arch 3-light east window with nook corbels, Perpendicular tracery, hood-mould and headstops. Open gabled porch has recessed timber entrance with gate flanked by sidelights beneath cranked tie beam with king post and side struts; square ashlar panels to porch sides with cross-shaped arrow slits, probably re-set; moulded tie beam and stone benches inside. Pointed inner arch of 2 orders with hollow chamfered and roll mouldings. Interior. 4-bay south arcade: three C12 west bays of plain round arches on cylindrical piers with plain moulded bases on tall square chamfered plinths, and fluted, scalloped and simple stiff-leaf capitals; fourth bay, to east chapel (traditionally known as Newstead Chapel) has wide double-chamfered arch with chamfered jambs to west, and inner order to east on moulded carved head corbel. East pier has inserted C14 niche with base supported by rustic carved figure with upraised arms, and crocketed trefoiled ogee arch flanked by carved heads supporting buttress shafts with crocketed finials. Chamfered ogee-arched piscina to south chapel; square-headed recess with chamfered sill beside entrance. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch with hood-mould, chamfered jambs and plain moulded imposts with crudely-carved heads. Deeply-splayed lancet to tower. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch has moulded imposts, chamfered jambs and inner order on moulded corbels with carved grotesque to north, fine Green Man to south. Chancel: sill string course, deeply-splayed lancets with chamfered surrounds; trefoiled piscina with nailhead and hollow mouldings, and projecting bowl; carved head corbel to east wall; restored aumbry. Square-framed oak screens to chancel and south chapel. 5-bay chancel screen with wide entrance flanked by narrower bays containing pointed lights with remnants of Perpendicular tracery, ornate carved spandrels to east face, blind 2-light traceried lower stage with restored panels, moulded stiles, top and mid rails. Chapel west screen: 5 full bays with door to second bay, each bay with 3-light openings with intersecting tracery, crocketed foiled ogee heads to lights with tracery above and pierced and carved spandrels, plain panels below, moulded stiles, top and mid rails; ornate blind traceried door has 2 Perpendicular traceried panels below, and 2 panels above with 2 tiers of pointed arches with intersecting tracery. Chapel north screen: 6 1/2 bays, door to second bay, each bay containing 2 lights with ornate traceried and crocketed ogee heads and pierced Perpendicular tracery above, moulded mid rail with remains of fretwork Gothic inscription, blind flowing traceried panels below and blind quatrefoil frieze above bottom rail; moulded stiles bear octagonal corbels for figurines, the traceried panels contain representations of lead weights; door has 2 lower panels containing 2 tiers of pointed arches with intersecting tracery, moulded mid rail and pierced traceried 4-light upper panels. Romanesque drum font with scallop moulding above blind arcading of intersecting round arches on piers with foliate capitals; cylindrical pedestal. Moveable font with octagonal ashlar bowl on C19 wooden stand. C16 wooden pedestal Poor Box in south chapel on tapered square column with plain moulded capital, iron fixing loops to side of rectangular box. South chapel has C13 ashlar grave slab with cross in relief; inscribed floor slab of 1699 to Robert and Elizabeth Pye of Cadney. Traces of wall paintings to nave: inscription on east wall dated from names of churchwardens to 1724; on south jamb of tower arch, part of C16 psalm inscription with figure. Fragments of moulded stone, including medieval graveslabs, inside tower. The fine screens may have come from the Gilbertine Priory of Newstead-on- Ancholme a mile to the north-west. Tower in disrepair at time of resurvey. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 211- 1; P B G Binnall, The Parish Church of All Saints, Cadney, 1973, 7pp; E A Woodruffe-Peacock, Notes on Cadney Church, 1912.

Listing NGR: TA0169303356

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Binnall, P B G , The Parish Church of All Saints Cadney, (1973), 7
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 211
Other
Woodruffe Peacock, EA , Notes on Cadney Church, (1912)

National Grid Reference: TA 01695 03354

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 07:06:21.