List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1083610

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 166266

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SCUNTHORPE CHURCH LANE SE 81 SE (north side) Frodingham 1/5 Church of St Lawrence - 7/11/66 - I

Church. C12 - C14, upper stage of tower rebuilt C17, alterations to south aisle and chancel in 1841 and later C19, roofs replaced in 1913 when a new nave, north aisle and chancel were added on the north side by Sir Charles Nicholson. Coursed ironstone rubble and squared blocks with ashlar dressings; lead and slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch and 2-bay chancel, 4-bay north nave with north aisle, 3-bay chancel and vestry on north side. C19 and 1913 work in Gothic Revival style. 2-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, west lancet with hood-mould, string-course and re-set C12 2-light pointed belfry openings with nook shafts and trefoiled heads, flanked by re-set parapet details. Nave: south aisle has 2 pairs of lancets between buttresses, single lancets at each end, and a plain parapet. South porch has C12 dogtooth moulded pointed-arch door with moulded capitals for nook shafts, stone- coped gable and slate roof, and an C18 inner doorway with round arch and moulded capitals. Original chancel has string-course and pointed priests' door, 3 lancets with cill band, and 3 stepped lancets at east end, all with hood-moulds. C20 sections have five 3-light clerestory windows to nave and chancel, 2 lancets on south side of chancel, and traceried pointed windows to north side of chancel, north aisle and east and west ends. Tower, early chancel, and C20 nave and chancel have battlemented parapets and low-pitched lead roofs. Interior: C14 south arcade with octagonal piers, plain moulded capitals and double-chamfered pointed arches. Late C12 north arcade with cylindrical piers, scalloped capitals, one with a carved corner head, and early C13 pointed arches with keeled and pellet mouldings. C12 narrow pointed tower arch, double-chamfered with responds. C13 double-chamfered chancel arch with triple-shafted responds and moulded capitals. C20 nave and chancel arcades have diagonally-set chamfered square piers with chamfered pointed arches dying into them. C20 arched triforium openings into the the earlier nave. Chapel has marble wall monuments to Healey family, including those by M Taylor, York (1834), Skelton, York (1839) and W Audby, Hull (1842), the latter 2 with carved coffins. C17 grave-slabs in the floor. Tower has 1775 wall tablet recording bequest of Thomas Williamson. C12 font on clustered shaft base with C17 carved wooden font cover. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 356; M E Armstrong (ed), An Industrial Island: A History of Scunthorpe, 1981, p 8, pl 9t).

Listing NGR: SE8910610846

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: An Industrial Island A History of Scunthorpe - Date: 1982
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 356

National Grid Reference: SE 89109 10841

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 10:07:03.