List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE MOST HOLY SACREMENT

List entry Number: 1083449

Location

CHURCH OF THE MOST HOLY SACREMENT, MARTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthorityBurton Constable

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 166688

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURTON CONSTABLE MARTON LANE TA 13 NE (east side) Marton 6/12 Church of the Most Holy Sacrament - II Church. 1788-89 with later additions and alterations including mid C19 extension to east and C20 porch to west. By Thomas Atkinson for William Constable. Pinkish-brown brick in English garden wall bond with Welsh slate roof. Single tall storey, 3 bays with single-bay extension to east and porch to west. Entrance a double plank door to south side of porch under round arch. Within, to west end of church a 6-fielded-panel door. West end has 16-pane sash to right of door and to gable a 16-pane window with radial glazing to head. South side has 3 round-arched windows, the 2 westernmost are 16-pane windows with radial glazing to heads, to east a stained-glass window (dated 1946); all under header arches. Brick copings to all gables. Interior. To west end a gallery on 4 Doric columns. To north side an arcade of blank round-arched recesses with raised imposts, similar arcade to south contains windows. Moulded cornice. Segmental vault. Shallow chancel bay with wall paintings. Neoclassical marble wall monument, a female figure and urn, to Mary Chichester d 1815 by Tyley of Bristol. Remains of box pews to west. Inscribed on brass plaque to entrance: "DEO IMMORTALI / AEDES HAS SACRAS / EREXIT / GULIEMUS CONSTABLE / A.D. / DMDCCLXXXIX" Abutts former prebendary to north. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978; p 312.

Listing NGR: TA1891638653

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding - Date: 1972 - Page References: 312

National Grid Reference: TA 18916 38653

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 01:19:50.