List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MENAGERIE APPROXIMATELY 45 METRES TO WEST OF BURTON CONSTABLE HALL

List entry Number: 1083447

Location

THE MENAGERIE APPROXIMATELY 45 METRES TO WEST OF BURTON CONSTABLE HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthorityBurton Constable

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 166682

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURTON CONSTABLE BURTON CONSTABLE PARK TA 1836-1936 9/7 The Menagerie approximately 45 metres to west of Burton 16.12.66 Constable Hall - II * Menagerie, now dwelling. c1770 with late C20 restorations. Probably by Thomas Lightoller for William Constable. Reddish-brown brick in English garden wall bond with red brick and ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. 2-storey projecting central bay with single-storey, single-bay wings and range to rear. Centre: ashlar plinth. Central Venetian window, now boarded over, with moulded ashlar imposts at first-floor level; Tuscan columns and pilasters set in recessed brick arch with red brick head. Open pedimented gable with dentilled moulding which continues as eaves cornice to sides. Wings, alike. Plinth. Continuous ashlar sill band. Central elliptically- arched 12-pane sash with margin lights under red brick head. Dentilled eaves band. Roofs hipped to front. Rear stacks. To left side of wing a semicircular bay. In process of restoration at time of resurvey.

Listing NGR: TA1835236676

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 22 Humberside - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: TA 18352 36676

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 01:15:07.