List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1083293

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityBelton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165074

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 7806-7906 BELTON CHURCHTOWN

18/18 Church of All Saints 1.3.67 GV I

Parish church. Largely C14-C15, with reused C13 arches to nave arcades and C14 windows to north aisle. Restorations of 1851 to chancel, including new east window. C19 reflooring, reseating, reroofing. Limestone ashlar, apart from rendered west sides of aisles, and clerestory of coursed rubble and squared blocks, fully rendered to north side, partly rendered to south. Lead roofs to aisles, north chapel and porch; Welsh slate roofs to nave and chancel; concrete tile roof to vestry. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay north chapel and vestry adjoining south side. Moulded plinth throughout. 3-stage tower: angle buttresses with offsets; first stage with pointed 2-light cinquefoiled west window with hoodmould, head stops and relief carving of shield above, pointed south door (probably inserted); stepped-in second stage with pointed slit lights to north and south, recessed panel to west with worn inscription, clockface to south; third stage with pointed 2-light belfry openings with partly restored foiled Y tracery, hoodmoulds and head stops; corble table, angle gargoyles, coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. North aisle: buttresses between bays with offsets, weathered string course below sill level with wall stepped-in above; blocked pointed north door with wave-and- hollow mouldings beneath string course; pointed 3-light windows with reticulated tracery, one restored; blocked pointed arch to west side with inserted pointed 2-light window; coped parapet. South aisle: angle buttresses and buttresses between bays supporting shafts with worn gargoyles below parapet; 2 pointed 3-light south windows with Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds with carved head and grotesque stops; similar east window with restored mullions; blocked pointed arch to west side with small inserted lancet; coped embattled parapet. Porch: pointed wave-and-hollow moulded outer arch beneath crocketed hoodmould with worn carved angel stops holding shields, string course above with tablet to centre bearing worn inscription with names of church wardens, shield and date 1755; moulded string course with mutilated carved figure to east side, coped embattled gable parapet. Pointed wave-and-hollow moulded inner arch. Clerestory: 2 pointed 2-light cinquefoiled north and south windows in moulded reveals, 4-centred-arched 3-light traceried east window above chancel roof; moulded string course, coped parapet and gable with cross finial. Chancel, north chapel and vestry have angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets; chancel and chapel have sill string courses. Chancel: south side has blocked pointed door, 2 pointed 3-light Perpendicular-traceried windows; large C19 pointed 5-light Perpendicular-traceried east window with moulded reveal: all windows with crenellated supertransoms. Moulded string course, coped parapet. North chapel: pointed 3-light north window with restored Perpendicular tracery; pointed 3-light east window with restored reticulated tracery; moulded string course, restored coped parapet. Vestry: pointed south door with wave-and-hollow mouldings, hoodmould; single-light trefoiled ogee south window with moulded reveal, wrought-iron bars; similar west window, 4- centred-arch 3-light east window (outer lights blocked), with trefoiled lights, incised spandrels and wave-moulded reveal; moulded string course with carved head to west, coped parapet; chimney adjoining chancel with crenellated octagonal shaft. Interior. Tall nave arcades of C13 pointed moulded arches with 2 keeled orders, hoodmoulds and head stops to inner face, roll-moulded soffit, and keeled and wave-moulded orders to outer face (apart from south-east bay, keeled to both sides), on C14-C15 octagonal piers with moulded and crenellated capitals and bell-shaped octagonal bases. Tower doorway with pointed arch of 2 continuous wave-moulded orders in tall blind arch, full-height of nave, with similar mouldings. Blocked pointed west arches to aisles with similar mouldings. North aisle has pointed east arch to north chapel with continuous double chamfer and octagonal bases to responds, pointed wave-moulded arch to blocked north door, plain corbelled image bracket to north wall. South aisle has chamfered arch to south door, mutilated corbelled image bracket with foliate carving to east wall. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch dying into jambs. Chancel has 3-bay arcade to north chapel with pointed arches of 2 wave-moulded orders on octagonal piers and responds with moulded crenellated capitals and moulded octagonal bases; 4-centred-arched doorway to vestry of 2 hollow-chamfered orders with fielded-panelled door; wave-and-hollow-moulded reveal with broach stops to south-west window; triple sedilia with sub-cusped cinquefoiled ogee arches with wave-and-hollow mouldings, buttress shafts with moulded offsets and crenellated frieze above; wave-moulded cinquefoiled ogee piscina with moulded corbelled bowl. C19 roofs throughout: 6-bay nave roof with corbelled wall shafts, moulded tie beams with pointed carved bosses, arch-braced principal rafters; 3-bay chancel roof with corbelled wall posts, arch braces to moulded tie beams with pendants. Monuments. C15 chest tomb in east bay of chancel arcade with 3 rectangular cusped panels bearing shields to north and south sides, one shield to south with arms in relief, the remainder blank. Much worn C14 effigy of Knight in north chapel, made from a coped stone perhaps of Saxon origin, with head and feet in ogee reveals, shield and cross motif on top. Small inscribed brass plate on chancel arcade pier to Elizabeth Taylor of 1728. Black marble floorslabs in north chapel to Robert Ryther and others of 1693, and to Robert Ryther of 1695, both with incised mantled arms and crest in roundel. Wall tablets in north chapel: good marble tablet to Katherine Johnson of 1786 by I Fisher of York, with obelisk base, inscribed oval plaque with guilloche border, frieze and cartouche below, damaged swag, cornice and draped urn above; 3 tablets by J Lockwood of Doncaster: to Robert Popplewell Steer of 1826 with guttae, draped shield and crest, to Maria Lammin of 1822 with ribbed pilasters, cornice and lamp, to John and Hannah Collinson of 1827-8 with panelled pilasters, moulded cornice, lamp, crossed trumpet and torch; pedimented tablet with acroteria to William Johnson of 1831 by Walsh and Dunbar of Leeds; pedimented tablet to Katherine Collinson of 1836 by E Gaffin of London, with palm fronds and shield; to William Collinson of 1846 by T Gaffin of London; plain tablet to John Hilton, clerk, of 1853 by Longley of Canterbury; pedimented tablet to James and Hariot Lammin of c1853 by Maile of London. Plain C13 circular bowl font with short cylindrical shaft and water-holding base on octagonal step. 2 small late medieval stained glass panels with coats of arms to south-west chancel window; remainder of stained glass is C19 and C20. The fine chancel south windows have similar tracery to those in the tower at Saint Augustine's church, Hedon, by Robert Playser, 1427-37. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 188-9. W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, pp 336-41; photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: SE7828906335

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 188-189
Read, W, History of the Isle of Axholme, (1858), 336-341

National Grid Reference: SE 78290 06336

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:12:26.