List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1083282

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityAmcotts

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165056

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 81 SE AMCOTTS CHURCH STREET (south side)

5/1 The Old Rectory

GV II

Rectory, now house. 1862 by James Fowler of Louth, Diocesan Architect. Renovations of c1980. Red brick in English bond with ashlar and polychrome brick dressings. Welsh slate roof. Irregular double-depth plan with entrance to north. 2 storeys. Chamfered brick plinth. North front: 3 gabled bays, with projecting wing to right. Central enclosed single-storey porch in angle of right wing has buttress to left with offset, pointed polychrome brick arch with ashlar keystone beneath flat roof; inner entrance with part-glazed panelled door in chamfered reveal beneath moulded ashlar lintel. To right, unequal 9-pane sash in quoined chamfered ashlar surround beneath flush herringbone brick panel and polychrome brick segmental-pointed relieving arch with flush ashlar key. To left, an unequal 6-pane sash in similar surround. First floor: similar 6-pane sashes to side bays, and central pointed plate-traceried 2-light window above porch with lancets and cinquefoiled roundel beneath polychrome brick arch. Flush blue and yellow brick bands at impost and sill levels. Projecting stepped brick eaves to gables. Corniced axial stacks with tumbled-in brick to offsets. Right return forms garden front of 2 bays; gabled wing projecting to right has ground-floor brick canted bay window with sashes in quoined ashlar surrounds below hipped roof; 9-pane sash to left bay in similar surround and with relieving arch as to north elevation, single 6-pane first-floor windows to each bay (that to left beneath gable) in similar surrounds. Small central 4-pane sash in angle of wing with ashlar surround. Similar brick bands and gable details to north front, lateral stack to right return. South side has similar windows, C20 conservatory in angle. Interior. Original details include: Gothic-style chimney-pieces, moulded plaster cornices, panelled doors in architraves. Similar in style to Fowler's Vicarage of 1863 at North Street, West Butterwick (qv).

Listing NGR: SE8557114131

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 85571 14131

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 09:01:34.