List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1083258

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityKeadby with Althorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165190

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 80 NW KEADBY WITH ALTHORPE CHURCH LANE (south side) Althorpe 8/126 Church of St Oswald 1.3.67

GV I

Parish church. Rebuilt 1483 for Sir John Neville, with earlier origins to nave, and reused C14 responds to chancel arch. Nave roof lowered c1794; restorations of 1864 included reflooring, reseating; nave roof repaired 1928. North aisle re-roofed 1955; porch rendered c1970; restorations of 1983-4, including unsympathetic rendering to plinth and parapet. Roche Abbey limestone ashlar to tower, chancel and vestry east wall; roughly coursed limestone rubble and reused ashlar to nave, north aisle and north wall of north chapel and vestry; ashlar dressings. Rendered brick to south porch, brick internal partition wall between vestry and chapel. Lead roof to nave, copper roof to north aisle and chapel, Welsh slate roofs to chancel and porch. Perpendicular style. West tower with west entrance, 4- bay nave with south porch and north aisle, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay north chapel (now incorporating organ chamber) and vestry. Moulded plinth throughout. 3-stage tower: full-height diagonal buttresses with offsets, stair lighting slits to south-west angle. First stage: fine pointed moulded west door has shafted roll mouldings and broad hollow chamfer enriched with carved heads, flowers etc, flanking buttress shafts with crocketed pinnacles, and crocketed ogee hoodmould with finial rising to fleuron frieze with carved crown to left and grotesque to right; pointed 3-light traceried window above with restored mullions and original hoodmould with worn carved grotesque stops; hoodmould continued as moulded string course between stages. Second stage: recessed moulded panel above west window with carved shield bearing arms of Neville quartered with those of Newmarch and Mowbray, above this a panel carved in high relief with the mantled helm of Neville surmounted by the bull's head crest, and flanking this, 2 heraldic panels bearing arms of Neville, Mowbray and Newmarch; south side has single slit light, heraldic panel and relief carving of ram and tun (reputed to be a rebus for the builder, Lambton). Moulded string course, continued around buttresses. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry windows with single transoms, hoodmoulds and headstops. Moulded string course with carved heads and fleurons, gargoyles to angles and above belfry openings, coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. Nave: south side has buttresses with offsets between bays, coursed ashlar below sill level; pointed 3-light traceried windows with restored mullions; string course to stepped-in clerestory with blocked truncated windows, corbelled string course and coped embattled parapet with C20 rendered merlons. Porch: pointed outer arch beneath raised gable; pointed inner arch with wave and hollow mouldings, oak door with moulded ribs and wrought-iron strap hinges. North aisle: buttresses with offsets between bays, pointed door with wave and hollow mouldings, 4-centred-arched 3-light windows with plain tracery and restored mullions. Clerestory similar to south side, but rendered. Chancel: diagonal buttresses with crocketed ogee gablets, buttresses between bays with large gargoyles, both with ornate moulded offsets, and rising to diagonal pinnacle shafts. South side has pointed moulded door with hoodmould and angel stops, pointed 3-light traceried windows; very fine pointed 5-light east window with crenellated supertransoms and hoodmould with carved figure stops of bishop and king; moulded string course, coped embattled parapet with moulded coping, truncated pinnacles, and relief carving to west gable of Mowbray arms and crest. North chapel/vestry: pointed 3-light traceried north window; east side has plinth and diagonal buttress similar to chancel, small pointed 2-light cinquefoiled window with wave-moulded reveal, and narrow trefoiled slit light above. Moulded string course, coped parapet. All windows have Perpendicular tracery and moulded reveals; those to chancel and tower are particularly fine, with cinquefoiled ogee lights, wave-and-hollow moulded reveals, hoodmoulds and carved figure stops. Interior. 4-bay nave arcade of tall pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds with plain-moulded capitals and bell-shaped bases. Tall narrow pointed double-chamfered tower arch with similar octagonal responds, capitals and bases. Tower staircase doorway has hollow- chamfered 4-centred arch with incised spandrels below corbelled string course, plain oak board door. Moulded segmental-arched reveal to west door. Original floor to belfry. Chamfered segmental-arched reveals to nave and north aisle doors. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on reused C14 shafted responds with plain-moulded capitals and bases, mutilated to accommodate screen; square-headed opening (former doorway to rood loft) from north aisle, with lower 4 steps in situ. North aisle, open to chapel, has carved image bracket on north wall with shield bearing arms of Neville and Newmarch flanked by foliage. 2-bay arcade to north chapel of pointed arches, moulded with a deep three-quarter round hollow between shallow hollow chamfers, on an octagonal pier with moulded capital and base on square pedestal with broach stops, and responds with continuous broach- stopped outer chamfer and octagonal shafts to inner order with moulded capitals and bases. Chamfered ogee piscina to north chapel. Chancel has pointed chamfered reveal to south door, low chamfered ogee-headed doorway to vestry with panelled board door, crenellated supertransoms to windows, trefoiled ogee piscina with hollow chamfer, broach stops and mutilated scalloped bowl; fine triple sedilia with projecting moulded bench seat, buttress shafts with moulded plinths, offsets and crocketed pinnacles, castellated half-round canopies fronted by nodding crocketed ogee arches beneath fleuron friezes, with ribbed vaulting to central canopy and carved bosses and corbels to side canopies. Central seat contains re-set late C14 brass to William de Lound, vicar of Althorpe, with small half figure above Latin inscription. Ornate Gothic-style wall tablet on nave south wall to William Kettlewell of 1870, with trefoiled arch on marble shafts, crocketed ogee hood with angel stops. Reset C15 eight-bay nave roof with moulded tie beams and carved friezes, moulded principal rafters, twin side-purlins and ridge-purlin. Good C15 6-bay chancel roof with corbelled 4-centred-arch trusses (the 2 main trusses with open traceried panels and crenellated transoms), finely moulded ridge-purlin and single side-purlins. C15 five- bay chancel screen, much restored, with moulded posts and mid rail, central ogee arched opening flanked by 4-centred-arch lights with ornate Perpendicular tracery and crocketed ogee arches, blind-traceried lower panels, and ribbed vaulted hood with carved frieze. Late C17 - early C18 altar rails with bulb-on-vase-balusters and corniced rail. C19 pews, those to chancel with ornate open traceried panels and crenellated tops. C15 octagonal font with carved rosette frieze to bowl, and shaft with scalloped stops. Natte's drawing shows the nave rendered, the clerestory blocked and the brick porch in place by August 1794. The Perpendicular window tracery is similar in style to that current in East Yorkshire in the C15. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 169; W B Stonehouse, The History and Topography of the Isle of Axholme, 1839, pp 364- 76; Associated Architectural and Archaeological Societies' Reports and Papers, vol 18, part 1, 1885, p ix; ibid, vol 28, part 1, 1905, pp xii-xiii; drawings by C Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: SE8347809625

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 169
Stonehouse, W B , The History and Topography of the Isle of Axholme, (1839), 364-376
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 28, (1905), 12-13
'Associated Architectural and Archaeological Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural and Archaeological Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 18, (1885), 9

National Grid Reference: SE 83478 09625

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:47:34.