List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1083174

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityEastoft

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165384

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 81 NW EASTOFT HIGH STREET (west side)

4/4 Church of St Bartholomew 14.2.67

GV II

Parish church. 1855 by J L Pearson. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with smooth ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. Gothic Revival style. 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and eastern bellcote, 3-bay chancel with vestry adjoining to north. Chamfered plinth, quoins, sill string course throughout. Aisles have angle buttresses, buttresses between bays with offsets, twin lancets to north and south sides, single east and west lancets. West end has buttresses flanking nave with 3 lancets beneath foiled wheel window in roll-moulded surround, with shafted spokes and central quatrefoil. Large bellcote straddles nave east gable, with moulded offsets, twin pointed chamfered bell openings with single segmental-pointed bell opening above, coped gable with wrought-iron cross finial. Porch: pointed double-chamfered arch on shafted responds with moulded capitals and bases; nailhead-moulded hoodmould with foliate stops. Stone-coped gable with cross finial. Pointed inner arch of 2 orders with filleted inner order and dogtooth-moulded outer order on shafted responds with nailhead mouldings to capitals and bases; hoodmould with foliate stops. Open scissor-braced roof with projecting carved ends to the sole-pieces. Chancel has angle buttresses, 3 lancets to south, single lancet to north, 3 stepped east lancets. Gabled vestry has small pointed 2-light transomed north window with trefoiled lights below pierced quatrefoil with carved foliate foils; tall stack with offsets, chamfered shaft and gableted cap. Corbelled eaves cornice. Steeply-pitched roofs: nave and aisles under continuous roof. Exposed rafter ends, stone-coped gables with carved stone cross finials, crested ridge tiles throughout. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double- chamfered arches on quatrefoiled piers and responds with moulded capitals and water-holding bases on square pedestals. Filleted and roll-moulded reveal and shafted spokes to west wheel window. Keeled segmental-pointed reveal to south door. Pointed chancel arch of 2 orders with chamfered outer order, filleted inner order and keeled moulding to soffit, on responds with outer chamfer and shafted inner order with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel has wide chamfered segmental-pointed arch to north side, sill string course. North and south lancets have pointed chamfered arches on moulded corbels with nailhead and foliate mouldings, the south-east window also with a seat below flanked by trefoiled chamfered arches in the angles of the splayed reveal. East lancets have flanking shafts with rings and capitals with nailhead moulding, arches and jambs with dogtooth moulding, hoodmoulds with carved stops. Boarded trussed rafter roofs throughout: 3-part roofs to aisles, 7-part roofs to nave and chancel, with scissor braces, collars and carved ends to the sole-pieces. Ornate octagonal carved stone pulpit with blind arcading and quatrefoil frieze with dogtooth moulding. Carved font with trefoiled panels and foliate motifs to bowl, and clustered filleted shaft with moulded base. Original pattern-work stained glass of 1855 to chancel, east aisle windows and west windows, with small Crucifixion to central east window. Carved wood altar rails with trefoiled balustrade. 5-bay chancel screen with blind-traceried lower panels and trefoiled upper panels. Original pews, choir stalls with carved bench ends. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding, 1959, p 189.

Listing NGR: SE8061216603

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 189

National Grid Reference: SE 80612 16603

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 05:10:10.