List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1083144

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthorityTwin Rivers

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 82 SW TWIN RIVERS CHURCH LANE (north side) Adlingfleet 1/26 Church of All Saints (formerly listed under 14.2.67 Adlingfleet Parish)

GV I

Parish church. Largely mid C13, with reset C12 north and south doors, C15 south aisle, clerestory and tower. Chancel shortened and partially rebuilt in 1792-4 reusing C13 materials. Restorations of 1828 included re-roofing, reseating. C18-Cl9 south porch incorporating C15 sculpture. C19 north vestry. Restorations of 1955-7 by G G Pace included reroofing, repairs to tower, south aisle and windows. Roughly coursed rubble and squared stone blocks with brick patching to tower, aisles, north and south transepts, clerestory; ashlar to chancel; rendered brick to south porch, brick to north vestry. Ashlar dressings throughout. Slate roofs. Cruciform plan: west tower, 2-bay aisled nave with short north and south transepts, south porch, north vestry, single-bay chancel. Quoins. 2-stage tower: full-height diagonal buttresses with offsets, moulded plinth, slit lights to staircase in south-west angle. Tall first stage: large C15 pointed 4-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, hoodmould; single slit lights above to west, north and south sides. Stepped-in upper stage has 4-centred-arched 2- light belfry openings with cinquefoiled lights, incised spandrels and hoodmoulds. Moulded string course, gargoyles to corners and centres of each side. Coped embattled parapet. Plain turret to head of staircase. North aisle: moulded string course at 2 levels either side of vestry, the section to east at sill height; buttresses to angles and centre. Fine late C13 pointed 2-light geometric-traceried window to east of vestry has rounded- trefoiled lights beneath a large unfoiled circle surrounded by 3 trefoiled circles, filleted tracery and ornate reveal with 4 clustered filleted shafts with foliate capitals (that to left missing). Small lancet to west of vestry, blocked lancet to west side. North transept: chamfered plinth, buttresses to angles and pair to north side, moulded sill string course, single basket-arched 3-light cinquefoiled window with incised spandrels in hollow-chamfered reveal. South aisle: buttress to south-west angle, moulded sill string courses at different levels either side of porch. Single 4- centred-arched 3-light cinquefoiled window with incised spandrels in hollow- chamfered reveal; blocked square-headed 2-light west window with mullion missing. Brick to eaves and lean-to gable. South transept: buttresses and moulded sill string course similar to those of north chapel; C13 pointed 3- light intersecting traceried window, partly-restored C13 pointed 2-light geometric-traceried window with pierced quatrefoil above trefoiled lights. South porch: slim set back buttresses with reused moulded ashlar offsets and gableted caps; pointed chamfered outer arch with hoodmould and impost string course; 3 reset C15 relief panels above representing the Annunciation, Coronation of the Virgin, and the Assumption, all beneath worn crenellated hoods and all suffering serious erosion. Fine C12 inner door, probably originally round and reset as pointed in C13, of 2 boldly-chevroned orders on shafted responds with scrolled and stiff-leaf capitals, flanked by large headstops. C15 inner door with blind Perpendicular-traceried panels and restored ribs. Clerestory: three 4-centred-arched 2-light cinquefoiled windows with incised spandrels in hollow-chamfered reveals to western section of both sides; rebuilt brick section above north transept, hipped roof. Chancel: buttresses with offsets to east, moulded string course similar to north and south transepts, partly-restored round-headed 3-light geometric-traceried east window with pair of pierced quatrefoils above trefoiled lights, coped gable. Interior. Tall pointed triple-chamfered tower arch on twin shafted responds; small pointed chamfered door to tower staircase. 2-bay north and south nave arcades of pointed triple-chamfered arches with broach stops, on shafted piers and west responds with alternating thick and thin shafts, the south arcade with a circular pedestal to the pier and nailhead mouldings to the capitals, the north arcade with a square pedestal and plain moulded capitals. Pointed double-chamfered central arch to crossing, and flanking pointed triple-chamfered east arches to aisles, on tall shafted piers and corbelled north and south responds. East side of the central arch bears 3 carved heads above the springing facing the chancel and south chapel. Pointed triple-chamfered north and south arches to transepts on shafted responds. All shafts have single chamfered rings, moulded capitals and bases. Section of nave to east of crossing has round-headed opening to southchapel at former rood screen level. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch to east of crossing, with chamfered jambs and keeled responds to inner order. Chancel has C13 piscina with pointed filleted arch and projecting moulded bowl. North aisle has C12 roll-moulded north doorway (now to vestry) originlly round-arched, reset as pointed, with plain moulded imposts and hoodmould continued as string course containing studded C15-C16 oak door. Shouldered-arched openings to blocked west aisle windows. Carved head corbel to north aisle north wall. C20 ceiling to nave; hollow-chamfered rafters and single purlins to chapels, boarded C18 rafter roof to chancel with staggered butt purlins. Monuments. Beneath segmental-arched recess in chancel south wall, a reset C14 effigy of a Lady, bearing traces of paint, with angels flanking the head and a mutilated griffon at the feet, on a chest with 4 carved shields in quatrefoils bearing arms of Bohun, Slapleton, Dayville and Wigton. To west of chancel arch, a very fine C16 monument to a member of the Haldenby family, probably Francis Haldenby, d 1596: knight effigy with shield bearing chalices carved in high relief, and head pillowed on helmet with coronet and crest, on partly restored chest with carved arms to west side, and relief panel to north side bearing carved border and 15 family figures, (11 male, 4 female) kneeling on a scroll inscribed in Latin with a series of homilies attributed to each figure. Above, a wall tablet to Francis Haldenby of 1589 carved in high relief, with a lower panel bearing the date and a long Latin inscription, and an upper panel bearing the Haldenby arms with helm, coronet and crest, copious mantling and inscribed scrolls. North side of chancel: small inscribed brass plate to Christopher Egmonton of Fockerby, of 1569; floorslab to Rev William Browne of 1720; damaged C13-C14 tombstone with incised cross and fragmentary Gothic inscription to a lady Berengia. Graveslab in north transept to Robert Haldenby and wife Agnes, of 1427, with a pair of incised crosses and Gothic border inscription. South transept: very fine standing wall monument to Mary Ramsden of 1755, by Charles Mitley and Harvey of York, in variety of veined marbles: panelled pedestal bearing inscribed tablet, with life-size figure above in draped costume against reredos background with festoon and cherubs, in Corinthian surround with fluted columns and segmental pediment carrying mantled arms and pair of urns. Series of black marble slabs within railed enclosure at foot of Ramsden monument: to Rev Henry Breary of 1743; to Elizabeth Robinson of 1714; to Thomas Robinson of 1710 with fine Latin inscription and roundel with arms and achievement in relief; to Mary Ramsden of 1743. Further black marble floorslabs in transept: to Robert Robinson of 1702; to Elizabeth Breary of 1719; to Thomas Robinson of 1709; C14 matrix for brass of knight with indents for full figure and pair of shields flanking the head. Series of C18 ashlar floorslabs. Wall tablets in south transept: to Rev Isaac Tyson of 1820 with pilastered surround, urn, crown, cross and books; to Rev William Tyson of 1865 and Mary Tyson of 1834, both by W D Keyworth of Hull. Wall tablet in north chapel to Sarah Middleton of 1832 with coffin, moulded cornice and urn, by Swift. C15 octagonal font with tall C19 wooden font cover. C18 and C19 box pews throughout, those in transepts with iron candle brackets. Painted Royal Arms of 1856 in tower. John le Franceys, Rector of Adlingfleet from 1247-55 (at that time one of the richest livings in the country), rebuilt Adlingfleet church and pulled down the neighbouring church at Whitgift. The C14 lady effigy (and chest?) was excavated in the C17 from the south side of the church, and is reputed to be Margaret, wife of Thomas de Egmonton, d1370. Mary Ramsden, widow of William Ramsden of Norton, Yorkshire, bequeathed her estate (including Adlingfleet) to St Catherine's College, Cambridge, and her monument was evidently intended for erection there. The finest medieval church in the Marshland region of the lower Trent and Ouse valleys, with some notable details and monuments. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding, 1959, pp 72-3; W Richardson, Some Useful Consumers of Waste: History in two Marshland Parishes, Adlingfleet and Whitgift, 1981, pp 1-85. R Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, 1951, p 261; R Holmes, The Wapentake of Osgoldcross, 1894, pp 70-1.

Listing NGR: SE8439521002

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Holmes, R - Title: The Wapentake of Osgoldcross - Date: 1894 - Page References: 70-1
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Gunnis, R - Title: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 - Date: 1953 - Page References: 261
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Richardson, W - Title: Some Useful Consumers of Waste History in two Marshland Parishes Adlingfleet and Whitgift - Date: 1981 - Page References: 1-85
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - The West Riding - Date: 1959 - Page References: 72-3

National Grid Reference: SE 84395 21003

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 04:12:06.