List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

List entry Number: 1083014

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityBottesford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165701

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 80 NE BOTTESFORD CHURCH LANE (east side)

2/1 Church of St Peter Ad Vincula - 6.11.67 GV I

Church. Largely C13 with C15-C16 tower parapet and buttresses. Restorations to tower 1630, and to remainder C19, including chancel and south transept 1857-64, with chancel roof by S S Teulon. Nave roof raised 1956. Ironstone and limestone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings. Lead roof to nave aisles, otherwise slate. Cruciform plan: west tower, 3-bay aisled nave with north and south porches, transepts and 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower has angle buttresses, needle lancers to first stage, narrow stairway lighting slits on south side, stringcourse, pointed 2-light belfry openings with quatrefoil over, corbel table, gargoyles and coped embattled parapet with crocketed finials. Plinth and cill band to nave, transepts, chancel; quoins to chancel and transepts. Nave south aisle has pointed 3-light windows with C19 intersecting tracery, North aisle has square- headed 3-light windows with largely C19 Perpendicular tracery, dripmoulds and headstops. Nave clerestory has alternate circular windows and lancets with dripmoulds and carved stops. South porch has pointed double-chamfered outer arch with inner order on moulded corbels. Pointed inner arch of 3 chamfered orders with nook shafts. North porch has ashlar front and re- set early C12 round-headed chamfered arch with nailhead dripmould. Pointed double-chamfered inner arch with moulded imposts. South transept: south wall, rebuilt in C19, has 2 needle-lancets with circular window above; single lancets to sides. North transept: north wall has 3 stepped needle- lancets with circular window above; 3 lancets to east side, 1 to west. Chancel has needle-lancets with dripmoulds. East wall, rebuilt 1857, has stepped east lancets with string-course, 2 round-headed windows and circular window above. Chancel and transept north and south walls have nailhead dripmoulds and carved stops, mostly whorls. Interior: nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers with engaged shafts, moulded capitals and mostly water-holding bases, some probably re-cut. The south piers have high circular plinths, round abaci and C19 shaft rings, the north piers octagonal plinths. Tall double-chamfered tower arch, the inner order supported on corbels, with dripmould and headstops. Double-chamfered chancel arch on shafted responds, on west side of crossing, with a Cl9 low pointed arch above. Double-chamfered transept arches, those to north on shafted responds, to south with inner order on moulded corbels: arches from chancel have pointed chamfered openings above. North transept, known as Morley Chapel, has a trefoil-headed piscina with projecting bowl on a a filleted shaft and moulded octagonal base. Chancel has moulded cill band and nook shafts to all lancets, those on south side keeled, those at east end filleted. Linked dripmoulds to side windows, nailhead dripmoulds to east windows and upper transept arches; whorl-stops throughout. All lancets and circular windows are deeply-splayed. Wooden chancel roof supportcd on wall shafts. South wall of chancel has sedilia with pointed moulded arches on shafts and responds with moulded capitals and bases, and double piscina with pointed moulded arches on filleted responds. East end has aumbry with double pointed arches and square dividing shaft rebated for doors. North wall has aumbry with double pointed arches and plank doors under nailhead dripmoulds. Fittings include moulded octagonal pulpit base with stone steps in north aisle. C19 font on earlier circular base. Single table tombs in each transept, that in north with mensa slab on top and C17(?) tablet recording burial of Morleys arid Holmes of Holme Hall, that in south with gravestone recording burials of Healey family in 1677 and 1717. N Pevsner and J harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 194-5.

Listing NGR: SE8994507022

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 194-195

National Grid Reference: SE 89945 07021

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 08:59:25.