List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST KENELM

List entry Number: 1083009

Location

CHURCH OF ST KENELM

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WorcestershireMalvern HillsDistrict AuthorityClifton upon Teme

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 151557

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 76 SW CLIFTON UPON TEME THE VILLAGE (north side)

2/24 Church of St Kenelm

29.7.59

GV II*

Parish church. C13, early C14, with restorations of 1843, 1847/1853 and C20. 1847/1853 restoration by James Cranston. Coursed sandstone and travertine- like dressings, timber-framed south porch, plain tile roofs except shingled spire. C13 nave continuous with C13 chancel, C20 north vestry, early C14 south aisle, C20 south porch and C13 west tower with broach spire. West tower: 3 slightly receding stages divided by 2 moulded string courses, with probably C14 diagonal buttresses, C13 single lancets in ground and first stages (some blocked), twin flat headed lights to belfy. South aisle: C20 wooden porch to early C14 south door with 2 centred head of 2 chamfered orders continued down the jambs without imposts, between 2 restored 2-light trefoiled windows; east window: restored Decorated 3-light trefoiled window; west window: restored 2-light Y-tracery window: stepped corner buttresses. Chancel: 2 restored single light trefoiled windows in south wall flanking C14 priest's door with 2 centred head and label; east window: Decorated 3-light trefoiled window under 2 centred head, restored tracery; North wall: late C19 vestry with C13 single lancet to west; stepped corner buttresses. Nave: 2 restored, Decorated windows, each of 2 lights cinquefoiled, between them an opening blocked in the C14, probably a door. Interior: chancel: east window C14 arch of travertine-like stone; in north wall late C19 arch for organ; below easternmost window in south wall a restored piscina, probably C14. Nave: C14 piscina in south wall cut in one of jamb stones of arcade to south aisle: tower arch inserted in early C14 in same pattern as south door, in wall above tower arch a contemporary triangular headed opening. Arcade: 3 bays of early C14, restored, with 2 centred arches of 2 chamfered orders and label, octagonal pillars with moulded capitals. Roofs: collar rafter roof with braces to collar and ashlar pieces; the braces from rafter to collar are halved over the collars and cross is scissor fashion above, perhaps C13, restored; between nave and chancel: C19 arch braced collar truss resting on probably C19 foliated corbels; nave and south aisle roofs: collar rafter roof with braces to ccllar and ashlar pieces, arrises of all members stopped and chamfered, restored, construction date uncertain. Fittings: in east bay of arcade a late C13 recumbent effigy in stone; on north wall of have: monument to Elizabeth Jeffreys died 1688, and Henry Jeffreys died 1709 by Grinling Gibbons, there is a very similar monument to Jane Winnington Jeffreys (died 1718) immediately to west; 2 wall monuments of late C17 with heraldic cartouches on north and south faces of wall at west end of arcade; font: hexagonal bowl probably C13, on octagonal stem, probably C14; C14 heraldic stained glass in tracery of south aisle east window. (VCH, 4, pp 252/254; BoE page 122).

Listing NGR: SO7149361611

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Worcester - Date: 1924 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 252-254
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Herefordshire - Date: 1963 - Page References: 122

National Grid Reference: SO 71493 61611

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 06:19:12.